Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions Please

DS wemt through a stage like this for a little while and we tried playing around with his bedtime. We found if he went to bed after 7:30 then we would be up at some ungodly hour, if he went to sleep before 7:30 then he would wake up early as well.

How are the naps going? Is he still having those? i found Xander a lot harder to settle when he misses his nap. Also I guess rule out things like teething, growth spurt, ear infections things like that. Could there be something in his room that is scaring him when he wakes up? xander often "discovers" new fears, things that never bothered him before suddenly disturb him for some reason.

best of luck

I guess thats why we put Matilda to bed so early now, because if she's at least asleep by 7ish and has a better chance of getting good sleep... and then isn't as cranky the next day. I just hate trying to settle her at 6pm! She's tired, but I would like more family time at night.

I just thought about something overnight - when we had yet another 1am wakeup, and then a 5am one. Grrrrrr. Anyway - shane gets up to go to work at about 6am, and so when Jenna was waking up (about 6:10-6:30) she was asking for Daddy and he was gone.
    I reckon she is waking early so she doesn't miss out on seeing Shane in the morning. I also think that she gets really upset when she doesn't see him, so I think she actually panics when she wakes up, so that gets her even more riled up.
    Is there anything like this Jacob could be anxious about? Is there anything (other than the new baby) that has changed so that he is missing it when he wakes up later?

Christy - we put jenna to bed at 7:30 so WE can have a break

Emma thats a great suggestion & always worth a try! Matilda has black blankets put over her windows which already have blinds on them. And I did notice some difference when we started.

Aidyn has been getting up before 5.30am for a few months now... and if I find a solution that works for us I will definately be sharing it.
    I have tried blocking out the sun with dark sheets over his curtains, but he wakes even earlier on those mornings?!
    He goes down at 7pm, but usually isnt asleep until 8pm. Sometimes 9pm, and even the late sleep time doesnt affect the time that he wakes in the morning.
    So I too am really stuck, and think its just one of those things that a lot of younger kids do... I look forward to the days when I have to drag him out of bed myself to get him ready for school LOL.

One routine that we do have which helps him to settle, is at night when we put him in his cot, he will drink his milk, and then most times he will stand up and call us again. So we take him into our bed and have 'snuggle' time where we chat, sing lullubies, and cuddle. Then after about 10 mins or so we let him know that its time to go back into his cot, and he will usually be fine to do so without protesting. Then he goes to sleep straight away.
    Although it takes extra time to do this, we find its worth it, as we have done this as part of our routine for so long, it guarantees to us that he will go to bed and go to sleep.

Don't know if that suggestion helps at all?

Also, with the early morning wakeups, I too will put a DVD on for Aidyn (usually Playschool) and either half sleep on the loungeroom floor, or try to sneak back to bed (although he always comes to get me only 5mins later!)
    So maybe you could keep a small mattress out there, so you are able to be with him, but maybe get an extra little bit of sleep too?

Actually, no matter what time we put him to bed, it takes the same amount of time for him to settle. So the times we put him down at 7.30, or even later, he will not fall asleep any quicker. Atm it is not bothering me much, as uni is over fo the year and I dont have any study etc to do at night. I'm sure as he gets older things will change again too.

Melinda Guest

Fi - nope, can't think of anything that Jacob would be missing out on. DH doesn't go to work until mid-morning most days, so it's nothing like that. You know what though, it's been a full moon! Just dawned on me a day or two ago. Last night he slept through though (not holding my breath for it to continue!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12