Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching to sleep without a wrap?

Not good Ezz, not good. Today we were out so he slept in the car, but yesterday was awful!

I spoke to Karitane helpline and they said we've been at it a week, keep going. Give it another week and see what happens. Just soooo over it, was nice to get a break from it today!

Nights still fine, it's just his day naps. I've always wrapped him so that he could move his arms, so that aint gonna help us either! LOL.

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

last night was better. slept soundly from 7ish when we put him to bed to 10:30 when he woke for feed as usual. then woke at 11:30 and 12:30 then at 2:30 I got him out to feed him and he was soaked through the lot... so that meant changing him and that meant he woke up properly so after changing and feeding and patting he eventually went quiet and not quite asleep at 3:30 so I went back to bed and didn't hear from him til 6:15 when i took him to bed with me but he didn't settle well there so we gave up just before 7.

These last couple of days I've found reasons to get out of the house just to keep myself sane, as if I'm home all day and he only cat naps i find myself losing all sanity...

will be interesting to see how we go tonight - has had his solids earlier so we'll see if that helps. Yep, could be teething - bumps on bottom gum but they're not red, but his cheeks are... have had to use a big piece of fabric to wrap him in today as both sheets were in the wash... which reminds me, they didn't dry on the line so I have to go chuck them in the dryer...

LM - What nappies are you using? Sounds like your DS wets through a lot! I had to give up on the MCNs overnight, because I was sick of washing the wrap, sheets, etc in the morning when DS leaked through. I use a babylove nappy overnight now & it last right through (even when I feed DS at 4am & don't change him). I figure 1 sposie a day isn't too bad...
    Like you, I am trying to go out in the day (actually I just got home from a trip to Bunnings). Calvin is only cat-napping during the day & he's grumpy. I wish I could convince him that he would be happier if he slept more than 1 sleep cycle at a time!!

Willow - I'm sorry it's not better yet! It's nice having an excuse to not have to do it isn't it? (sleeping in the car, the pram, the HAB etc). Did Karitane have any other suggestions for you? Are they gentler than Tresillian? (who told me to let him cry it out)

Ezz - yeah, I have found Karitane more gentle in their advice. I don't ring Tresillian anymore (unless I can get hold of the nurse we saw there directly, she's unreal). Karitane told me I was doing everything they would advise, she actually said she couldn't fault me which was nice, but not very helpful! LOL. They said give it till the end of this week and see how he was going then.

Today was better. First nap was in the ergo cause we were out, afternoon nap was pretty good, bit of a protest for maybe 5 mins then slept for about an hour and a half. Went to bed tonight with hardly a peep. Nights aren't a problem for us though, it's his day naps that have been put out.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

We switched back to sposies a while back because my hands were too sore using the mcn... i think the press stud things and having to pull on them to get them around tight enough were the problem... anyhow, mainly using huggies but sometimes snugglers... seems to be no rhyme nor reason to whether he wets through, but have turned down the heating and leaving a layer off him in bed and that has worked the last couple of nights...

ALTHOUGH... 2 nights ago he went 6 hours without needing any attention... how good is that! BUT last night was back to waking every 1 1/2 to 2 hours!!! Grrrrrr! His bottom gum bumps have gone from pink to whitish so perhaps there's a tooth coming through... who knows? All I know is he's down to 2 day sleeps this last week and I've been out every day between the sleeps just to stay sane.. like you Ezz I've tried to convince him that sleeping longer or at least having that 3rd sleep he'd be happier, but he just doesn't believe me...

Willow - How's it going now?

LM - How is your DS going? Any sign of those teeth? DS has always leaked in the Huggies - but has never leaked through the Babylove or ALDI nappies. (Go figure! I know Huggies are "supposed" to be the best). Anyway, back to the topic at hand - my DS seems to be pushing towards 2 day sleeps too. On Monday he did one 2 hour sleep + one 1.5 hour sleep (I had to resettle him in the middle of that one). Yesterday he did 3 x 40 min naps (because we were out & about - two of those naps were in the car). Today he did a 1.5 hour nap in the morning, and then a short nap this afternoon (40 mins) + a nap in the evening - if he had managed a longer sleep in the afternoon, he wouldn't have needed this evening nap. I guess it might take him a few weeks to settle into a new pattern.

Yeah... first tooth can now be felt so that could explain some of the unsettledness i guess

His arms keep escaping even the biggest cot sheet i have and i end up having to rewrap at least once a night. A few nights ago he just wouldn't calm down, so i unwrapped him thinking it was worth a try, and while he fell asleep in my arms then, the minute i put him down in the cot he woke up and went nuts again, so i wrapped and jiggled until eventually he was ok and went to sleep.. i think that was the night he woke every hour between 9 and 2 then i gave up and took him back to our bed! The last night or two have been back to his 'usual' 4 hourly room service calls - they are sooooo easy to deal with after the onslaught of sleeplessness these past couple of weeks!

Is DS sleeping no probs without his wrap yet willow?

The last couple of nights we have had to re-wrap DS during the night too (which we don't normally - it's usually just a day problem). Last night was awful - woke up at 10-ish, 12-ish, 1-ish, 2-ish (when I fed him), 5-ish & 6-ish (when I fed him again & brought him into bed with me). He then slept until 7:15am & woke up bright as a button - I on the other hand...

We had a really bad night last week too - and a couple of days later I noticed a new tooth (#5) - so it's possible that there is another tooth coming.

LM - I have found sarongs are actually bigger than cot sheets, or you could buy some fabric & cut to size? Having said that, DS can eventually wriggle out of a sarong too! How is your DS going now? I feel your pain with the sleep deprivation! I had this naive idea that DS was going to be sleeping through by 6 months!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12