Thread: Tell me it's a stage, please!

Default Tell me it's a stage, please!

The last 48 hours have been exhausting. DS keeps waking up and is difficult to resettle. I should say that he's not a good one for self-settling, most of the time he needs help. And I usually rock him to sleep, which I have no problem with, unless it's becoming a problem for him.

Putting him down for his day sleeps is taking a long time, normally it is quite easy. He then wakes 40 mins later and needs a lot of help to get back to sleep. He is waking every 1-2 hours through the night, and is really difficult to resettle. Normally during the night it's easy, and if he needs a feed, I just take him into bed to BF him and we both fall asleep. But not the last two nights, once he's finished feeding he starts crying again. We co sleep about half the time, but he has never really liked to actually fall asleep in our bed, unless he's BFing.

I don't know what to do. He is very grizzly when he's trying (or trying not to!) go to sleep. I'm really hoping that this is a growth spurt, teething again, wonder week, whatever! I just don't want this to become permanent! I should mention that he seems fine when he's awake.

Advice would be appreciated, TIA

Sarah, sorry I have no advice, but i only wanted to tell you that Lily has been the same for about a week. She's been waking at about 3am for a party and takes about an hour or so to get back to sleep. As well as 2-3 other wake ups for her dummy. She will NOT have a feed at night now and cries even more if I try to give her one. Though she's sleeping well in the day probably cause she's sleeping so badly at night. So sorry no advice, but just some sympathy, and maybe to tell you that it is probably just a phase at this age?? I hope he improves for you soon.

:hugs: from here too hun- they are just constantly baffling us aren't they. I was thinking teeth too hun, I find Izzy is grizzly with them in bed but when she's up and about she is distracted by her multitude of toys and too busy licking the floor to notice they hurt I think.

If it doesn't pass maybe call your MCHN and see what they say? Especially if he usually feeds and is happy to sleep - sounds like something is bothering him and not letting him fall to sleep.
    Good luck hun and sorry I'm not much help either.

I hear you on the one sleep cycle thing! It's so frustrating and DS is only just 7 weeks old!

I was thinking teeth too - even though he's fine during the day, I found with DD that it only really bothered her at night or when she was trying to settle down to sleep. I guess I would try some teething gel or even some panadol and see if it makes a difference? I used to um and ah for hours about giving DD panadol but often I'd find that as soon as I did, she'd sleep much better so I just assumed she was in pain and it helped. If not, it's definitely not going to hurt him to have a little bit.

Just remember...this too shall pass!

PS Can someone tell me what this 'wonder week' thing is?? I've had people refer to it in my posts and I don't know what they're talking about!

Sez - same problem here Has Nicholas been talking to Oscar No suggestions / advice - just understanding and a big hug

Willow - the wonder weeks is a book that looks at the developmental stages and when the little people are usually unsettled (eg 6 weeks, 6 months etc)

Shannon, thank you, it's nice to hear your wise, experienced words! I know it sounds crazy, but I was really hoping that this was just some horrid stage that they all go through . Good to hear that things may settle somewhat in a little while.....I'm starting to get a bit weary of the night time stuff, even when he's being 'good'. I think that's because I know I'm going back to work PT in January. Thanks for your advice hun

Kellie, it sounds like it might be the age! Gosh I hope they get through it soon........I'm sure you do too, you need all the rest you can get LOL.

Tan PMSL at Izzy licking the floor! I really think it might be teeth as well as a yucky stage......he was soooooo unhappy earlier tonight, I gave him some panadol in the end, which seemed to work. Poor little poppet, he was crying and thrashing against me, nothing would soothe him There was definitely something bothering him......who knows what it was!

Willow, I said that to myself a few times today 'this too shall pass' thank you for reminding me! I ummed and ahed about giving him the panadol, but I'm glad I did, it seemed to help him calm down. I hope your little guy sorts his sleeping out soon! The one sleep cycle thing is soooo frustrating.

Michelle, I'm sure our cheeky monkeys have been in contact LOL. They seem to be on a regular basis . I feel your pain, sending you some sleeping vibes, hopefully they'll work soon! I hate to be negative, but have you thought about how you'll cope when you go back to work?

I function great with sleep deprivation When I go back to work it is mostly in the evening when I would be up anyway and I can nap anywhere - learned behaviour that has kept me sane (and functioning) for the past 6 months

LOL Michelle, tricks of the trade!

I wish I could, I'm hopeless! Never felt tired with DD (the old 'sleep when the baby sleeps' doesn't work when you've got a toddler too!) but definitely feeling it this time.

Sez - I'm glad the panadol helped a bit, I remember the first time I gave it to DD, I called my mum, my sister, my best friend asking them all if they thought it was OK! LOL.

I hope you both get some sleep soon.

If he's sleeping for about 40 minutes then waking during the day, it could just be that he doesn't need any more sleep. A baby's sleep cycle is approx. 45 minutes long.

If you think its teasing, try a numbing gel like bonjella.

Good luck!

Mmmm, yes, but I can tell if he's had enough sleep by how he wakes up. And he generally wakes up very unhappy after 40 minutes. If he wakes up chatting to himself, then I let him have a bit of a play in his cot and then get him up. But if he's really upset, I try to get him back down, which doesn't always work.