Thread: Tired when waking

Default Tired when waking

For ages now Maggie seems really tired when she wakes and I am often able to get her back to sleep within an hour of waking. Is this normal? I know it takes me a while to wake up, so I am wondering if it is the same for her. It just makes it a very slow start to the day if I am putting her back to sleep not long after waking (we get up about 8:00-8:30). Also I find I can't give breakfast as she doesn't eat much of it and ends up rubbing most of it through her eyes. So breakfast is more like brunch and all other meals are later from there.

Should I worry or just go with the flow and resign myself to only going out from midday onwards?

Yasin went through a stage like that for a while (I think it was at a similar age but I've got a shocking memory). I loved it - we got up in the morning, had a little snack and a quick play and then went back to bed together for another hour or two. I would say just go with the flow and resign yourself to not going out until the afternoon but if you don't love sleeping in like me maybe you could pop her in her pram/car seat after an hour for her nap so you can get out and about.

Melinda Guest

Jacob also doesn't like eating as soon as he's up - he prefers to have a bit of a play first.

Matilda went through a stage where she was only up for an hour and a half before going back to sleep. & like Jacob she still won't eat very close to waking up.

She even now wakes up a bit tired and we just lie together in bed and chat about things for 20-30 minutes and then she's ready for the day. HTH!

Does Maggie wake up and cry? Or wake up and chat to herself? What is it that makes you go into her in the morning?

The reason I ask is that Olivia (from about 8 months) would wake at 7am and chat to herself. If I went in and got her straight away and attempted to feed her etc, she would be fairly cranky and tired and back to bed by 8.30am.

But if I left her for 20 mins to fully wake up, chat and sing to herself, so I'd get her up at about 7.30am, oh my goodness what a difference, she would be alert, happy, hungry and be on fine form until about 10am.

Even now, I can hear her stir at 7am and she likes to sit in her cot a "read books" and have full on chats with teddy by herself for a good half an hour, then I go and get her (she actually calls out to me now!). Some mornings I have to get her up as soon as she stirs and then she is pretty scratchy and dreadful.........

So like the other girls have said, nothing to worry about, go with the flow, try a few different morning patterns and see if any of them suit her better?

Melinda Guest

Oh yes Lucy - Jacob is the same as Olivia in that regard - he enjoys a good old chat/sing in his cot (at least a couple of times during the week he will wake anywhere between 1 - 5 am and talk to himself for sometimes 2 hours before going back to sleep - he sleeps in to make up for it! LOL).

Maggie is in bed with me by the morning. She starts stirring about 6:30 and feed/sleeps and generally wiggles a lot. I get he up once she starts standing. I notice that she normally will do a poo not long after getting her up. So maybe that is what is waking her. Sometimes I think I should just get her up when she first stirs, at it is generally not a very good sleep from then on. Maybe I just need to get her into the cot more, but I do need my sleep :sleeping:

Thanks for the advice