Thread: Up since 5am - knackered!

Default Up since 5am - knackered!

I've been finding that DS has been waking up at about 4:30 or 5am and doesn't want to go back to sleep. So he's already down for his first nap (it's only 8:30am) .

Obviously I don't want this to become a habit. Anyone have any ideas for getting bub back to sleep in the early hours - I try rocking, leaving him (he doesn't cry but he's playing), BFing...nothing works until I decide to get him up at 7am. I thought that if I don't allow him to actually get up until 7am that eventually he'll stop waking up earlier than that?? Not sure if it's a phase or not.

He goes to bed at night at about 7:30pm (the end of daylight savings may have knocked him around a bit - he's still going to bed at 7:30pm which is really an hour later IYKWIM). He usually wakes for a feed at about 10pm and may wake a couple more times needing a quick resettle.

Sorry for the long and probably incoherent post - so tired

just to let you know, you're not alone! My DS is about the same age, and wakes a few times most nights and always between 3 and 5 in the morning. Initially he'll yell and cry, but then it progresses to babbling and kicking his legs around and generally playing up. It is always a fight to get him back to sleep. Sometimes he just wont, though. He's a very active child, always has been. I haven't got a solution, or any real suggestions, and even went to sleep school on the weekend to see if they could suggest anything (but left after a couple of hours because I'm not doing CC!). I'm paying for a private independent mothercraft nurse to come tomorrow night to see what her take on it is, and if she can suggest anything useful. I shall come back and let you know!

Our almost 2 year old has started waking then too!

How early is it!...It's like torture isn't it?!

Just wanted to offer hugs... My 1st was a bad sleeper til he was 2... hope you all get things sorted...

NaNa- U know how much i'd like your DS to give u a break hun...

Stay strong everyone... wish i could offer help bnut i'm all out of suggestions.

Natty was doing this at one stage too. She did grow out of it (except for when we're on holidays - then she wakes at first light ). I can't remember how long it took. But for us it didn't last.
    I sooooo KWYM about the tiredness though! And I feel for you.

Thanks gals. It helps so much to know we're not alone. I know he'll EVENTUALLY sleep better but it's so hard when we're in the thick of it.

Je$$ - we've resigned ourselves to the fact that DS probably won't start sleeping well until he's 2. And if he reaches 2 and it's the same, we'll say 3. Gotta have goals!

NaNa - DS has always been a very active baby. We had comments about him being so "alert" from the day he was born. It seems our bubs find it hard to switch off.

chakra - thanks for the glimmer of hope. nice to know that things CAN change in a matter of months.

Snacks - glad DS grew out of it too. so good to be reminded that it does happen eventually.

Lee - i hope DS doesn't start this again at 2. just when you think you're done with the bad sleeping, it starts again.

yep, good to have goals. It's hard to think about them at 3am when you're absolutely shattered... but this too shall pass! It has to. Everyone learns to sleep eventually. We get the comments about how alert DS is all the time too. Right from the start. Hopefully we can manage that alertness and activity and help them grow into clever little people, and happy big people too.

yep that's what we tell ourselves. DS is alert because he's so clever and wants to work out this world he lives in