Thread: Warming the cot - quicker than wheatbag?

Default Warming the cot - quicker than wheatbag?

Hi all

It's very cold here in Canberra and I'm thinking maybe DD is waking because she's going from a snuggly mummy hug back into a cool cot. She is wrapped and warm but she's still pretty bald so maybe the feeling of the sheet on her face/head is waking her?

Anyway, we have a wheatbag (and I'm prepared to use it!) but what with the standing waiting for the microwave, and then mooshing it around, it sort of interrupts the smooth flow of picking DD up when she first awakes. So I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for instant warmth?

I know you can get those little gel packs (skiers have them in their pockets?) that you twist and then they heat up - not sure where I'd get one or what sort of heat it would be? Does any one know? Any other suggestions? Someone should invent a quick-warmth mat that you click on when you get the baby up that turns itself off so it's warm when baby gets to bed. Other option is to use a heater in her room but not too keen to do that until I have a smoke detector fitted in her room (and I'm not about to try balancing on a chair to do that in my current sleep deprived state).

All and any thoughts are welcome.

Might sound silly..but can you use a hair drier to heat up the sheets?

Maybe place a blanket in the dryer then place it on the sheets then put DD on top?

have a small sheet on hand warming up near the heater. thn when you take her to her cot you cold just lay that underneath her head?

We use a hot water bottle to warm Harrison's cot up... we just take it out before we put him in there.

thios might be a silly question but are you using flannalette sheets?

You can get heat packs that you click a little button in and it causes a chemical reaction and they heat up quickly and crystalise, then when they cool down you boil them in a pot of water till they are liquid again and cool them quickly before they crystalise again. much easier than the microwave and easy to do while you settle her before putting her down. I agree with AJP, use flannalette sheets coz they warm up faster.

Ali that's what I was thinking of. Do you know what they are called or where i could get them?

Already using flannelette thanks ladies!

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

I hear you MARYDEAN ... I live in Ballarat, brrrr ... geez it can get cold here too

... I did & still do exactly what the other member LISA mentioned for our daughter Cendrine

You can get them in the chemist, alternatively, toys'r'us have the prince lionheart on the go bottle warmer, which uses the same thing and is bigger and more mouldable. from memory they are about the same price, but dont quote me - i dont trust my own memory

what about putting a blanket in the dryer and warming it up and then putting it on the cot just before you put bubba in!
    I would avoid those heat packs that you click to activate as i used one and they can get hot spots on them and are a pain to reboil after each use.
    You can get the disposable heatpacks from the reject shop. A pack of two is like $2 so cheap but once agin watch the heat as they do get hot!
    HTH
    odette

Ok, the ones they had at the chemist were stick on disposable ones. So I researched the reusable heat packs online ($30 for a reasonable sized one) so I decided to just stick with the wheat bag. I had it all set up in the microwave ready to go so I turned the micro on, picked DD up, then carried the wheat bag to her bed before sitting down to feed her. Seemed to work like a charm!

Odette, the MACH nurse suggested the same thing with the blanket, but it's really the head area that needs warming. I will have a sticky at hte reject shop and check them out tho, that's quite cheap.

We use a hot water bottle and it stays warm most of the night so every time I get him up I put it where he was lying so it's still warm when we get back.