Thread: When did you transfer baby to a "Big bed"??

Question When did you transfer baby to a "Big bed"??

Hi guys... just wondering when you transfered bubs to a big bed...

Alexa absolutley hates having the cos side right up & barely copes with it being half up... I am comtemplating taking the drop side off altogether.. but am a bit worried she might fall out... I am starting to thing that she may settle easier at night without it & then life will be a whole lot less stressful for the both of us at night!!!!!

She can crawl & can also pull herself up to standing.. but cannot climb or walk yet...

Any ideas/suggestions...

i put Declanin a big bed at 16 months, hw was only just walking, and put a special rail made for beds on the side (cost me about $60 from Target over here) it can be folded down. Declan hated his cot, but i held out until he could walk. Xander was about 18 months when he went into a big bed.

Mitch, we put Lindsay and Erin into a big bed when they were nearly 2, but mainly cause we needed the cot for the next one LOL. Paige was 18 months. I found that to stop them rolling out, I put a pillow under the matress to prop it up so they would have to roll up hill to get out. Maybe you could trial her with no side on the cot and see how she goes with that, cause sometimes it isn't just a physical thing, but an emotional one for them too. Be prepared for her to fight you a little once she realises that she can get out

She fights till the bitter end at the moment LOL... her eyes can be rolling to the back of her head & she is still fighting & screaming LOL... boy my girl has good lungs!!!!!

Maybe it is just the cot side then that she hates and might be fine without it. Worth a shot anyway.

Good question Mitch - coz I am sooooooooo longing to put DS in a normal bed. He sleeps so much better on our bed, I'd like to be able to lie down with him on his own bed, and then leave him there instead of on our bed.

I'm not worried about him falling off in his sleep - it's when he wakes up, he moves around, and if he sits himself up too close to the edge he falls off.

As soon as he knows how to get down feet first I think I'll be getting him a bed. TTCing #2 now anyway.. so we'll be wanting the cot sometime too.

We didnt put Aidyn in a big bed until 2 weeks ago (he was over 2.5yrs), but he never minded his cot that much...

maybe put a mattress on the floor next to the bed in case she rolls out?

mae Guest

I like sheries idea about the pillow--good thinking! With Shan she was just barely 2 when she moved into a big bed...I remember because it was like 2 nights before I had to move out that she started in her big bed ...and I'd lie awake everynight hoping she didn't fall out and if she did that someone would notice lol

none of mine have gone into big beds until 3, but none of them had an issue with the cot, so there was no hurry. KWIM??

Thanks gous for the input... Might try pillows on the floor & the side off for a night & see how she goes!!!!

Will keep you posted...

We're doing it in the next week or so, as soon as his new room is ready

kerry Guest

Brigid went straight from her bassinet to a toddler bed at about 6 months. I have never had her fall out, but have a big cushion (1m*1m) at the side of the bed just incase.

tiggy Guest

mitch,
    How did you go? Did you end up putting Alexa into a bed?
    I am seriously thinking about this for Ivy atm. Love to hear how you went.

Tiggy... Havent put her into a big bed yet...

But have finally managed to get the sleeping sorted at night, have just been leaving her till she cried herself to sleep, controlled crying did not work at all for us...

Last night I finally got her to bed WITHOUT any crying woohoo...

So no help from me really! sorry chicky.. but hope Ivy gives you no trouble...

Milo moves around so much in his sleep, there is no way he would stay in a bed without falling out for more than about an hour.

I am going to think about putting him in a big bed either when he starts trying to/can climb out of his cot or when no. 2 is on the way.

So probably not before he is about 2.

tiggy Guest

Thanks Mitch, glad you got Alexa's sleeping sorted.

Ray, I waited until my others were around the 18 month mark, when they became too long for the cot and we needed one cot for Lily too. Not that she lasted long in a cot. She climbed out when she was 8 months old! It was a horrible scary time...she couldn't walk but she could climb!
    I was going to keep Ivy and Noah in the cots for as long as possible too but Ivy is being a witch with her sleep and I am trying to think of all viable options. Noah might just be in his cot still when his is a teenager, he loves it that much ! LOL.

Aidyn moved from his cot into a single bed at 2 yrs 8 month old...

We put Emily in a single bed at 16 months. We needed to reclaim her cot and didn't want to do it too close to the arrival of the new baby.
    She was fine, no problems at all really.
    I think as long as they can get in and out of bed themselves it's all good. If they can't you might find yourself having to go in and help them alot more than you'd like to be. You could put a mattress on the floor next to the bed - this will help give them some more height to get up as well as cushioning should she fall.