Thread: when should his bedtime be

Default when should his bedtime be

I have recently put a post up about my litlle 5 month old waking so much.. but I had another question.. he goes down at say anywhere from 6.30-7.30pm but if he wakes an hour or so later I usually keep him up until i go to bed with him at around 10.30-11pm because he doesnt seem tired.. i know this sounds terrible as I am writing it, but it is what has worked for us.. so should I be trying to keep him "in bed" from say his 7.30pm sleep and just feed him and try to get him straight back to sleep..maybe this will help his sleeping? I guess I am just worried that he will do his longer sleep, whether it be 3 hours or 4, before i get to bed, then I wont get anymore than the usual up every 2hours or so through the night. ahhh sorry about the long post. I just wonder if anyone does what I do and how hard is it to change? cheers everyone!
    ATM I guess he considers going down at 7ish as another nap? and bedtime at 11ish? love to hear your thoughts!

I wouldnt be too worried at his age... I was definately doing the same with Aidyn. He would go down at about 6 or 7, then would be up again soon afterwards, and then he would go to bed at the same time as us... this ensured that I would at least get some sleep! I cant say I remember having any difficulty with changing his routine as he got older. I think once he was sleeping through for more than 8-10 hours I moved his bedtime to earlier in the evening.

Zander was exactly the same & I think he was around about 8months old before he went to bed before 11pm. Kinda scary to think about it now, but he will get into a nice routine soon. Zander now goes to bed around 7.30 - 8.00 so all is good

thanks for the replies girls! nice and reasurring! tried to make him go back to sleep when he woke at 9pm but no luck... he was thinking what the hell was goin on! lol
    its now almost 10.30pm and his in the lounge with me.. oh well. hopefully things will improve when the time is right! I guess its not that i mind.. I just wish he slept through the night!!

Don't expet though that when you put him to bed earlier that he will definately sleep through. Zander still doesn't now!

I have to say, I am a sleep nazi!! coco is in bed by 7pm and I do not get her out of her cot until the next morning. There are times she goes to sleep straight away and sleeps through, but others I just pat her off to sleep again. I just so need my own time after the girls go to bed. It's usually half an hour and Im in bed by 8.30, half an hour after Tilly!! I just know that I don't want to set up patterns that Im not willing to continue with, so of course if you're happy with what you do that's fine and there's no problem.
    I just know my poor mum had so much trouble with my sister and she slept in her bed until her teens!! Also I had such success with Tilly and she always slept so well, that that's what I want for coco. Its just being consistent with what you want to do. xoxoxo

angelique Guest

Mine too wont go into deep sleep till after 9pm. That seems to be the magical number for her ever since she was a newborn. I just put her down at 8pm and sometimes I have to re-settle and sometimes I don't. She usually sleeps till 5-6am and I try to hold her feed off till 7am. I give her the last feed at about 10-10.30pm and then I go off to sleep for at least 5 hours (I hope anyway). Getting her to bed early just does not work for her. maybe when she is older.