Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is his settling to sleep at night and day different???

Melinda Guest

It's definitely possible that he could be stirring through the night and unsettled because he is hungry - absolutely! If he took a whole 200ml of formula at that time when you gave him a rollover feed, that's a really good feed isn't it and it suggests to me that perhaps he was hungry? If he was just a little bit peckish or comfort-sucking perhaps, he'd only have a small amount, but he had a really big bottle! Perhaps a rollover feed is something you could continue doing for a while to see how things go?

So did you go in and feed him again at 5.30 or just re-settle him then until 7.20 or whenever you got him up for brekkie? I take it you've started giving him some solids for breakfast now too, so he's having 3 solid meals a day? So is Blake having a BF or bottle with each meal, plus before bed? Sorry, just trying to work out how many solid feeds and milk feeds he's having because he may well be getting hungry and definitely needing more - either by way of solids or BF/Bottle.

You can definitely try giving him some more BF or bottles during the day if you think he is hungry. But just a word of warning - it may/may not help overnight - he still may need that bit extra overnight by way of a rollover feed IYKWIM? At least for a little while longer. That's where demand-feeding is really important because then Blake will get what he needs, when he needs it and he'll probably be a happy camper all round!

Just FYI - At 6 months of age, Jacob was having 3 solid feeds a day as well as 4 - 5 bottles a day. It depended on the day how many bottles he had really - we just went with whatever he needed.

Because Saturday night was so terrible, DH got up with Blake Sunday morning. At about 8.30am he said he was putting his hands in his mouth and looked hungry so he gave him 1/2 a jar of fruit - remember Blake hates to drink when he first wakes up so he probably was in need of something. When I looked at the routine drawn up by S/School they had included 3 solid meals as well as 5 b/feeds, so I though maybe Blake was needing breakfast too, so as of today, Blake's to have 3 solid meals and b/feeds when he wants them as well as a rollover feed.

Back to your question, Blake wouldn't resettle quickly at 5.30am so I gave him a good feed then and he went back to sleep until I woke him at 7.20am.

He wouldn't have a b/feed at 7.20am when he got up and he wouldn't have one a few minute ago when he got up at 11am. I tried him when he was still sleepy and he had a few sucks but wasn't really interested. I changed his nappy to see if it would help if he was awake and he wouldn't have a bar of it. Will let him go and offer again in about half an hour. If he refuses then I'll give him lunch and offer again after lunch or before his afternoon nap. He's quite a funny creature and doesn't really act/look/cry out for a drink. Guess I gotta keep putting the boob in front of him to see if he wants it!

Oh yeah, generally he is breast fed but he will also have bottles of either EBM or formula. I've had plenty of dramas with my supply and have been on Fenugreek since he was 5 weeks old. I took Maxalon in the week after my dad's death as my milk suffered because of that, and he has also been supplimented with formula along the way. He doesn't seem to care which he has, and has no favourite, although I'm sure BF is!

Melinda Guest

Sounds great Rachel!

Perhaps he has been hungry as you say.....hopefully having 3 solid feeds a day plus being demand BF will help. It does sound as though having a couple of feeds through the night is what he needs ATM.

When you think about it, if you wake up hungry in the night or go to bed hungry, do you sleep well? I know I don't LOL!!! When I was PG with Jacob, every morning between 5 - 7 I would need to get up and have a yoghurt in order to have more sleep. I was ravenous at that hour!

So hopefully the combination of solids and demand-feeding (including a rollover feed) and using the settling techniques that Blake likes will see him having some sounder sleep during the night.

Keep me posted with developments!!

Woo Hoo!!!

Another great night!!!!!

Although he woke at 1am-ish he settled back to sleep very quickly without a feed.

I don't know if it's the 3 meals, the bath, the rollover feed or what, but we've had 2 nights of sleep. I feel like a million dollars.

I know they're not all going to be that great, but I'm working on the law of averages and so far I'm happy

Kate, you have no idea about how good I feel!!!! :smt026

Congratulations - enjoy your well earned sleeps \/

Melinda Guest

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

That's SO fantastic Rachel!!! I'm so happy for you! A bit of sleep makes you feel more human doesn't it!!

It's probably a combination of all those things - he's probably working out that a nice bath every evening (with or without his big sis!) is a pretty great way to head off for a big sleep. And having a nice full tummy would certainly mean he's satisfied!!!

YAY!!!

Melinda Guest

How are things going Rachel?

We're having some SERIOUS issues with Jacob's sleep here again!!! Pity I'm all out of ideas on how to try and resolve them either........

Mel, thanks for asking.

Wednesday night was pretty good, Thursday was hell, although we'd had a busy day and he only got one sleep and a 15 min nap so he was totally over-tired and work every 1.5hours and stayed awake from 3am-4.39am. Last night was a lot better as he had good sleeps during the day, although he was awake again between 3.15 and 4am.

Today his sleeps have been a bit out and he's just gone to sleep about 20 minutes ago so hopefully it will be a good night [-o<

Sorry to hear that Jacob is giving you grief. What is he doing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12