Thread: Why won't he?

Default Why won't he?

Thursday night, DS did 8-2, up every 2 hours thereafter. Friday, up every hour and a half from 8.30. Saturday, 8-5, up every hour after. Last night, up every hour or so and awake for almost 2 hours in the middle of the night.

So he CAN sleep through, why won't he? He gets 2 naps in the day for 1-2 hours each, had identical nap patterns on Saturday and Sunday... the only difference was that DH was around and played with him Friday and Sunday (DH is now requesting to play with DS without me there, which is fab). Is that really the issue? Or will DS only do every other night sleeping through? We have the same routine, same feed times, same games etc every day, so what's going wrong?

I think they all go through a stage of not sleeping through the night. Eleanor was a great sleeper at night until 2months ago when she got sick and now she won't sleep all night and will only have 2 30mins sleep during the day.
    I have had a couple of nights that she has slept through but it's not like it used to be a 10 - 12hr sleep.

Michelle, his whole life has been a period of not sleeping through! He slept through twice at 1w old (8 hours and tube-fed), a few times at 4m old (6-7h a time), but the last 5 months have been every 2 hours or so, every 3-4 on a good night. He's not hungry, hot, cold... just crying cos he's tired. Stay asleep then, daft lad!

That is what Eleanor is like at the moment until 10pm. She'll wake and as soon as you cuddle her she's back asleep but can wake as soon as you put her down to sleep again.
    Kimberley was my worst for sleeping at night she woke at night until she was 12months old. I had to swap milk for water so she would understand that it wasn't time to be awake iykwim it did work after a while.

Ah Ryn, All I can say honey is that he is one stubborn little ox. I have no words, I'm having the same with Claudia. I just keep thinking 'surely this time next year things will be different'.

hugs to you!

I wonder if you are doing what we are doing? As soon as DD makes a peep, we are in her room patting her so she stays asleep. I think this sometimes makes her more awake, rather than letting her try to self-settle. We were up this morning from 4.30am until about 6.00am trying to settle her back, in the end I said to DH, she isn't crying, just whinging so I will leave her alone. She self settled until about 7am. In the end I got her up and put her in bed with us and she slept until we woke her for her feed at 8am.
    The other thing is, what time is the last night feed? Have you tried a dreamfeed/rollover feed? We just reintroduced this at 11pm and DD most of the time sleeps through until 7am-8am. Some children drop this feed, but maybe you DS still needs it?
    It looks as though your DS can sleep and self settle during the day and you have a 'routine', so not sure why he won't do this same during the night. I have a suggested routine from a sleep school I went to, if you want me to PM or e-mail it to you.

Julia, he ain't whinging. He is in full-on distress. He will whinge and self-settle once a week. I wait until I hear him cry before walking to his room, checking he's still crying, then finding him on all fours screaming. He talks in his sleep and snores too so I'm used to ignoring little noises!

DS's last feed is just before 8pm; he sleeps at 8. Except last night, it was the village firework display so he was up until 9. Very loud! We went the display and he was out like a light when we returned. I don't have enough milk for a 10-10.30 feed; he has 4 day feeds and I only really start to feel milk at 4-5am, leak about 6am ish now. He isn't hungry, even when he slept through he just had a quick nip and back to sleep.

I have also tried a bottle of cool, boiled water - still makes him throw up. I could try tap water, but I don't want to introduce a bottle for water when he is good with his cup.

Ryn - Hugs to you, I can`t offer any advice as I have been going through the same with Adrian, I just wanted to give you a hug.

Awww Ryn, PMSL at your DS snoring and other little noises! I don't know any other advice to offer you, cos obviously he is not a happy chappy.
    I wouldn't offer a bottle either.
    I've had a look at the pamphlet I got from sleep school, but it offers nothing else other than settling techniques, which probably won't work on him if he is that upset. What about trying to massage his tummy gently in a clockwise direction? Maybe that will calm him and if he has an upset tummy it might help him to burp or 'pop off' (out the other end).

Ryn do you have overnight sleep school in UK? Maybe it's time to look into one? I'm so sorry I don't have any suggestions. It seems like there are so many babies no sleeping at the moment. Cheeky monkeys.
    I wish I could give you a magic solution but I really don't know what else to suggest as I'm sure you have tried everything. Sending you heaps of hugs.

Sleep schools here all promote control crying, or at least the few I've found in a 100 mile radius do . Most of my friends and my health visitor also suggest CCing.

I'm just going to have to tough it out, I think. He re-settles OK, I may need a night or two of little or no sleep to keep him asleep but I'm sure it will happen at some point.

He tummy sleeps and lloves me patting his bum, so I can't do tummy rubs, but he has a massage in his bath normally.

I didn't think there would be that many places that still offer CC and not another alternative!?
    I think you've hit the nail on the head, just persevere and be consistent. My DD sometimes like to sleep on her tum, but sometimes if she won't settle I try her back/another position and this seems to work.
    Good luck Ryn, I hope you can work this out for both you & DS.