Thread: Wrapped to un-wrapped

ChloeGirl Guest

Default Wrapped to un-wrapped

My 4mth old daughter is wrapped to go to sleep, and i've been very blessed as she is an awesome sleeper but i want to start getting her used to being unwrapped cause it'll be too hot in summer - and we dont have air-con in our house.

Any ideas??????

I just tried putting Nixon to bed one night without being wrapped. To my surprise he wasnt too bad. did have to go in and fix him up a few times as normally he'd wake & go back to sleep but without being wrapped he seemed to stay awake. but after a few nights he seemed to be pretty used to the idea
    You can also use the grow bags/sleeping bags which will help if she wriggles out of the sheet/blanket u have on her.
    hmm i havent given you much advice i am sorry, Nixon was about 4months & i figured it was time when he just kept unwrapping himself all the time.
    good luck, let us know how she goes when you try her not wrapped.

ChloeGirl Guest

yeah chloe keeps unwrapping herself too - i might give one of those bags ago, might help keep her feel secure.

Thanks nickers!

ChloeGirl - I am going through the same problem. I have a 4 month old daughter is sleeps beautifully when wrapped up tightly - as soon as one little finger can make it out, she is awake. This thankfully only happens during the day, she sleeps right through the night with no problems. I had a grobag for my older daughter and that was brilliant, but she wasn't as fussy about being wrapped. You can by the grobags in different TOG ratings, the lowest rating being the lightest fabric and suitable for summer.

Fletch has a great point, I wouldn't worry about it if your daughter is comfortable and is sleeping. My theory is they will hopefully just grow out of it and eventually get used to sleeping without being wrapped (boy I hope so LOL!!!)

Good luck with it and if you do find anything that works, let me know.

ChloeGirl Guest

yup she's extaclty the same. Once her little hand is out she thinks it's time to play!
    I guess you guys are right - if she's happy being wrapped then why stop??
    i guess i just worry that she'll over heat in the really hot nights, heard that theres a higher risk of SIDS if they are over heated & that scares me comin into summer..........?

Actually i just bought a sleeping bag today (from target had 15% off) its a summer one so sleeveless & not thick material. i plan to use it this summer hopefully!

ChloeGirl Guest

Thanks guys!
    -xx-

Cot sheets are a great thing to wrap in too. When we were in the Cook Islands last year, we put Jenna in a short sleeved onesie, and a nappy, and just wrapped her in a cot sheet with a cotton cell blanket over the top. It was 30degs and humid most nights (and we had coem from Melb winter) and she was fine. She was actually 4m old then
    Besides - that was the only time I've really ever used my top cot sheet!!

My DS will be 9 months old on the 13th and I'm still wrapping him in a cot sheet at night. I just went out this week and bought three HUGE (121cmx121cm) muslin wraps in case he doesn't wean off being wrapped before it gets hot. We don't have air conditioning in our house so I have also purchased some singlet bodysuits to sleep him in, or if it gets really bad he can sleep in just a nappy and a wrap. I don't worry too much about him over heating as he tends to pull his arms out in his sleep. Sometimes it wakes him up and sometimes it doesn't - it just depends. I will continue to wrap him as long as he seems to need it and as long as he sleeps better when he is wrapped. Despite being 9 months old he does still startle in his sleep and therefore I feel he needs it. We shall see what happens over the next few months...

Any update chloe girl? Lucy is 6months old and I still have to wrap her (sounds like similar issue to you), but some of these hot nights are hard... even in just a nappy and muslin wrap she gets sweaty

I was looking for an update too Cathy and I noticed your little girl is born the same day as Darcy.
    You should join us in May babies there are three other bubbs born that day too!

My oldest is 2yrs on wednesday and she still loves her sleeping bag.I think it made the transition to a bed alot easier.I still dont know how im going to get her out of it eventually.