Thread: * Alcohol & Quality of Sperm & Eggs

Default * Alcohol & Quality of Sperm & Eggs

What is the effect of binge drinking on sperm?

And....if we are born with our eggs, then how will alcohol affect the quality of the eggs retrieved in IVF?

This may be helpful - found it from a few reliable sources:

Compared to a non-smoker, a man who smokes has a lower sperm count and a greater number of misshapen sperm, neither of which is very conducive to creating a child. Additionally, binge drinking (four or more alcoholic drinks in one evening) can seriously affect your ability to produce quality sperm.
    Excessive intake of alcohol, especially 'binge' drinking, can decrease sperm production and the number of moving sperm. Sperm take 72 days to form so the effects of damage take a long time to reverse.
    Hope that helps with regard to the binge drinking effects on sperm... will look for something about effects on eggs....

Thank you. I ask the question because a GF who is TTC and on clomid, is scheduled to BD late next week but her DH is away and wants to binge drink all this weekend!!!!

My DH does both, smoke & has a drink everyday. He has good spermies though.
    When he had his first test years ago he was quite concerned but numbers come back fine.
    On each sample lately, I check the numbers to see if I can tell him off (hate the smoking) but they are still coming up good.
    Not sure if he's a rare case.

Alcohol doesn't affect the eggs but most sources recommend that if you are trying to conceive, you should at least abstain from alcohol from just before ovulation until AF shows up (then you can hit the bottle with a vengeance and maybe smash the glass while you're at it). I think this is only because it isn't good on a developing embryo, rather than an egg. As you say Sheree, our eggs are all there before we're born and really the only other factor brought to bear is advanced maternal age (usually after 35). These problems are inherently those of metabolism (ie, not enough puff to complete the job of fertilisation, implantation and cleavage) or problems with the chromosomes.

My DH did smoke but has been on the patch for a while now. Although the patch still has nicotine in it, the other harmful substances in ciggies have been weeded out so hopefully he will give us a good sample. Like your DH, Tam, my DH's sperm tests were all normal - excellent even - even when his smoking was at its heaviest. I know what you mean about hating it. He gave it up for me so I'm pretty happy about it really. Looking forward to the day when he can chuck those patches away for good.

All this aside, has anyone ever noticed that there still seem to be a large number of people who smoke, drink and take drugs and it doesn't seem to affect their fertility one iota? How does that work?

Mel, it is true about those things not affecting fertility.

DH gave up when I was 6 months pg with DD, I'm not sure if that's what he's waiting for again. Will keep trying though.

Just thought Id move this to General Conception as you may get more replies & the other girls would be interested as well