Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: * Checking cervix position to determine fertile days

Exclamation * Checking cervix position to determine fertile days

Okay, since I've been asked, here my experiences with the above topic.

For all those who find this thing awkward... stop reading.. it get's explicit! I am posting this in hope that it could help someone who has troubles pinpointing the fertile period, so maybe this might help someone ttc. (I will tell you if it worked in a week)

To feel your cervix, you best sit down or squat or put up a leg. You put one or two fingers in your vagina and you will feel a little round 'thingy' at the end of the vaginal passage. The os is the opening of the cervix. Do wash your hands before doing this. Critics say that you shouldn't do this as you could introduce germs into that environment, but considering that your partner's penis or fingers are there as well and have not been scrubbed before (and tend to be in there for a lot longer) I think that's exaggerated.

Before your period (this is when I started) when you can feel your cervix it feels like touching your nose.. in a very funny way.... It is firm and tends to be lower down in your body. The os is small and closed.

During your period the os opens a little bit to let out the menstrual blood. I don't think you should or want to feel your os/cervix during that time (since you are infertile during your period 99% of the time).

I have a 27day cycle, so the days between period and ovulation are fairly short for me (especially since I tend to have my period for 5-6 days). The most noticeable thing was that in that time between period and ovulation the cervix is really low down in the vaginal canal (when you feel while you sit it's only two knuckles). I was very surprised and checked various websites which told me that on your most fertile days the cervix is hardest to reach (i guess to make it that extra bit harder...)

On the fertile days the cervix became really soft and the Os was open and also quite 'mushy' and you could easily fit the tip of a finger inside (how on earth does that thing dilate to 10cm?? oh my God!). Again I checked various websites and one even suggested tasting your mucus.. hmmm.. after much hesitation I decided to give it a go (hell, I taste HIS fluids.. why not my own) and surprise surprise: when you are fertile it does in deed taste sweet!

After ovulation your cervix will move lower again and become firm.

I also found a doctor's website which said that feeling the position of your cervix and the os is actually 40% reliable to pinpoint ovulation, while basal temperature only scored 30%! So I think this could really help those struggling to pinpoint their ovulation!

Hope I didn't gross anybody out.
    If you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

Hey Snowgirl,

Thanks for posting all that great info! I found that it took a couple of cycles to really get the hang of checking cp, but it's quite easy once you get the hang of it. Plus it's a great way to confirm your fertile period. I haven't done the taste test yet tho!! LOL.

Also, the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler has some great info and pics on cp and cm in it, and should be available to borrow from most libraries.

Hi Angel,

well, I'm glad there is another person on the board who has done this!
    It's really quite fascinating, isn't it?
    (I only did the tasting twice... it's not something I could really get hooked on... )

Snowy

thanks Snowgirl,
    very informative and not gross at all. If I ever get the courage up to do it at least I will know what to do.
    hope the wait seems shorter now you have not symptoms to analyse!!
    anney

Debbie Lee Guest

Thank you SO much Snowgirl!
    I am glad finally someone got the courage to post how checking your CP is really done (and not in a clinical way).
    Last cycle I had a go at it but I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. We are on a break from TTC at the moment so I haven't even been temping but I hope to get right back in to it in May. Your info will certainly help me out. Thanks again!

Debbie

Just want to add for those charting all that info can be found in the fertilityfriend handbook as well (except for taste testing - gross lol)

I also felt the cervix during TTC

Love :smt049

What a great post! Very informitive, although I must admit I don't think I could do the whole taste test LOL bit ewwwww for me But thank you for being so informative! I haven't done the cervix thing yet though, I tried charting and threw in the towel because my temps were all over the place and I couldn't get a very accurate chart. So the only thing I keep track of now, is EWCM and cycle days...and hopefully this will regulate now with metformin [-o<

Goodluck to you all!

*hugs*
    Cailin

well, i am glad about the positive feedback. i hope that those of you who haven't been able to temp will be able to make some use of the info (and i don't think tasting your cervical fluids is necessary... )

am happy to answer any questions - if you don't want to post them, we can do that by email also!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ask this question in the TTC forum and now I've got my answer.

THANK YOU AGAIN SNOWGIRL!!!!!

Has any heard about using cough medicine to thicken cervical mucus and asprin to prevent clotting?

My husband's Aunt is a nurse and she told me about a co-worker that used asprin for 2 months and became prego.

ah, I see you found it!

well, aspirin thinns your blood - so I guess in that way that would prevent blood clots (people who are in threat of DVT take it before/during flights), but I don't know what kind of clotting you were talking about? is that what you mean - blood clots that cause thrombosis?

cough medicine to thicken mucus? hmm.. haven't heard that.. you are talking about taking the cough medicine, i presume? i have heard that some people have used yoghurt to support their mucus (as in PUT it DOWN THERE) but haven't read anything about it whether it does anything.... I guess anything that copies the chemical consistency of the fertile mucus would help conception - but why would you want to thicken your mucus?? I was under the impression that the thick mucus is not that good for the survival of sperms but the more liquid one... but I am not an OBGYN, so this is just layman's talk / what I've read.

best of luck to you!

Snowy

The asprin is for women who clot during their cycle. I have a terrible time with that myself. Just like with DVT or for coronary purposes to reduce clotting. I believe that it is avoid the uterine lining from excessive clotting due to irregular cycles

The cough syurp is to be taken orally.

hey danni,
    i just noticed i had mistyped up there: aspirin thinns your blood (i typed "this" before... noticed my sentence didn't make any sense, corrected it now). That's how it prevents clotting.

Melinda Guest

I have heard something about taking cough medicine during the cycle to aid EWCM. It doesn't thicken your CM as such, rather it makes it more like the consistency of egg whites, making it easier for the sperm to swim through. Some people find this useful if they don't get a lot of EWCM at O time. I can't say that I have ever heard of the use of yoghurt to help this process along, but I have heard of actually using egg whites.

As for the asprin - it's not something that you should take during PG unless it has been specifically prescribed for you by your Doctor, as it thins the blood and increases blood flow, which is not what you want for a PG and can have disastrous consequences. However, sometimes it is prescribed during PG in very low doses for people who have a condition called antiphospholipid syndrome (I think) which causes a blood clot to form between the placenta and the baby, which tragically results in m/c. This syndrome is picked up via blood test. There may well be other reasons for taking a very low dose of asprin during PG, but I'm not sure what they are, but in any event, it's definitely not something to take routinely - it should only be taken if prescribed for you by a Doctor and you must make sure you take the appropriate amount and not a normal dose!

*edited to say that I'm certainly no Doctor, but seek the advice of one before taking any asprin or other meds if you're TTC*

@ Tootie
    yeah.. can't say I found the yoghurt-suggestion on some board very convincing...
    also agree with you to not experiment on your own but see what your doctor reckons and prescribes

The my aunt-in-law stated that her co-worker was still taking the asprin.? I honestly dont know how that is possible myself

wow,
    Ive never thought about feeling the cervix.. i remember when i went to hospital for a check up 2 days before josh was born and she said she was gunna move the cervix because it was doing something so she stuck her fingers up there hurt me like mad and did something and then 4 hours later i was 3 cm dilated..

so god knows what she did but it helped make josh be 3 days early hehe..and all natrual aswell yay..

i might have to try this cervix checking thing when we start TTC again in september

take care
    Lesley

Should I start to check my cervical poistion the day after my cycle has stopped?

Hi Deevadoll

Yep once :af: is over with then you can begin. But make sure it is checked at the same time everyday as it can move up and down over the course of a day anyway

Love :smt049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast