Thread: * Ibuprofen (Nurofen) and conception

Tooshy Guest

Default * Ibuprofen (Nurofen) and conception

Hi. Just checking if taking nurofen could effect conception. I know that it isn't recommended during pregnancy but could it actually effect getting pregnant in the first place. I get terrible headaches and sometimes nurofen plus is the only thing that works for me. Thanks for any info.

Hi Tooshy

Nurofen suppresses ovulation so the answer is yes

I know how you feel, tooshy... been there with the headaches and all...

how often do you get them? it may be worth having them looked at if they are that bad and happening frequently. I've just been through all that - tension headaches - and now have a medication to stop me getting them.

Sadly, I'm on a reasonably high dose of naprosyn (another NSAID) for arthritis, so I'm almost feeling like I can't win no matter what!

BW

wow- i had no idea about brufen- I take them for headaches too

bad!!- will stop now though!!

Tooshy Guest

Thanks Alan and Butterfly.
    I will be careful.
    Does that mean that there is no chance of conceiving if I've taken nurofen this cycle around ovulation time? Or does it just cut down your chances? I am taking clomid as well so it does feel like I am ovulating.
    Headaches usually come from my neck and I do get them regularly. Am seeing an osteopath and he is helping. I guess I just need to go more often.

Hi Tooshy

Your chances are reduced but that does not mean that you will not conceive

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I was reading pregnancy & birth magazine this month and it contains details of a study which the Head of General Gyn at RPA is warning women to avoid anti-inflammatories (like Nurofen) from conception to pregnancy, which increases the risk of miscarriage by up to 80%. He suggests paracetamol as an alternative.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I found this thread highly interesting as I have always had bad headaches which only neurofen have been able to banish. Does anyone know how long it takes after stopping neurofen before ovulation returns to "normal"?

For anyone else who reaches for neurofen, I've swapped to panadeine with codeine. My pharmacist told me just as effective but no harm...

Nat

I only noticed this thead yesterday! How bad is that!

Nat - I think I will do the same as you and swap back to panadeine.

Nic