Thread: A ? about SPERM !

poppet Guest

Default A ? about SPERM !

We bd on CD22, i got a +ve OPK on CD24. We bd again on CD25.

If sperm lives for up to 72 hrs (in a fertile environment),what does "it" do in the lead up to ovulation (when egg is released)????????????????. Realllllllllllly dumb question, but just wondering what happens with all those spermies - are they just hanging around waiting, dying off gradually??? 72 hours seems like a long time, thats all....

Is it poss to fall preg 2 days prior to O ?
    Last edited by poppet; December 30th, 2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: punctuation

Um, I have no idea what the sperm does in that gap (in fact I recently read that sperm can live for up to 5-6 days (given it's in the right environment with CM).

In relation to the second question most people recommend BDing 2-3 days before O, and on the day of O.

it does start to die off they say the boy ones swim fast and die off quickly and the girl ones swim slower and die off later... i bded 3 nights b4 oing, the night b4 and the night after and we fell pg. I would say you have bd as good as you could have but if it diesnt happen this cycle though but if not next month i would have bd the another day just to be sure but doing it the day after +ve is probably good... Good luck..

Technically you can't fall pregnant before you O. That's your last question out of the way first. The answer to the first one is that they keep on swimming until they die or the egg is popped, whichever happens first.

This time, we didn't bd as much as we normally do and I fell pg. Normally it would be a marathon effort of every day leading up to O and the day after. This time it was each day for a couple of days, then a day off, then the afternoon before O and the day of O and that was it.

Lisa

Hello, apparently they swim up into these sort of pocket thingies in the uterus/tube lining called called the something crypts, where they then sort of settle down to wait. Some of them exhaust their nutrients and die, others survive for longer. When the egg is released, it gives off some chemical signal which stimulates them all into a frenzy again. That's my very non-scientific explanation of the stuff I read in "Getting Pregnant" which has lots of very detailed descriptions of the whole process.

HTH
    :-)

I was going to say they probably kick back, relax, and have a beer
    But your explanation sounds so much more likely Marydean!

Yep what marydean said is correct. There are a couple of different places sperm will go and hibernate - namely in cervical crypts in your cervix, and in the ampulla of your tubes which is partway up the tubes. These both provide survivable places for the sperm. Some sperm will go swim straight up to look for an egg, stay active for a while and die. Others will hibernate and wake up in waves from the crypts and ampulla in case there's an egg around to maximise the window you have. Over time, there's less and less sperm making their final journey - there's not so many after 2 or 3 days. I don't think individual sperm survive that long when they are active, the "window" you have is provided by the sperm that are sleeping and some waking up every now and then.

Sperm can't live very long in the vagina - 20-30 minutes or something I think, and not that long in the uterus itself. The ampulla and the cervical crypts are places they can veg out and conserve themselves.

Hope this helps!!

Man I'm thinking there's got to be a telly or something in there to keep them amused!!
    :-)