Thread: Anti D Question?

Exclamation Anti D Question?

Hi i was having dinner with a few girlfriends the other night and the question poped up about Anti D(sp?) I had one after ectopic (8 weeks) as i am O- but didnt get one after either of my m/c (both 4.5 weeks) should i have?

Please help

Sorry to stress you out Lou! I'm sure you didn't need one, but some of the girls on here will be able to tell you if I'm right or not!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I am under the belief you should have, but I also believe if it's that early it should be a minimal risk. Probably a good idea to speak to your doctor.

Rhesus Negative Blood Group in Pregnancy
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks i have email my doctor to find out but am not too worried (for a change) as DH and I are the same blood type so just hoping they put back our embies. lol still that is a big fear

sorry to add but feeling a little frustrated now as when i did m/c i called my nurse yes the one who stuffed up my drugs and dates b4 to confirm that i needed an anti d and she said No. looking back now im so upset

feeling a little more at ease now as i just googled and foun the there is an antibody test that can be done to find out and i think i have had this done resently and came back ok but will pst when i double check lol

thanx

Lou - it depends on whether your DH is positive or negative. If he is also negative, then you don't need anti D (I refused after my m/c and after Caitlyn). If he is positive you should have anti D. The risk is when a foetus is Rh positive and the mother is negative and there is a mixing of the bloods. Antibiodies are then created and any subsequent children are at risk.

Lou, Michelle is right. We had exactly that situation so we needed anti D but if you and DH are both rhesus negative, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you are worried go to the dr and ask for the antibody test. This will put your mind at ease and if it happens that there are antibodies present you will be able to talk to your dr about it. I had mine tested a few months ago because I am O- and my son is A+. Now we are expecting our second bub and I must say I feel better that I had the test. I don't know if I helped at all but go and get tested if you are worried. It's just a blood test -doesn't take long and will give you peace of mind.

Thank you every one for your support.xx

emailed Gyn and she said that it is not usual to give anti D b4 6 weeks, also i had the test but she doesnt have my results at home with her, but i recall them being ok!

just for everyones knoweldge in case some one else asks

It is probably because prior to that the placenta has yet to form and the development of the baby is anaerobic (without oxygen - which is why a big *session* in early pregnancy prior to finding out is not considered a significant issue, although many may have their own views on this). Until the placenta forms there is no connection between maternal blood supply and the foetus, so anti D would not be beneficial or required.