Thread: Anyone LPD after weaning?

Aussie_Chik Guest

Default Anyone LPD after weaning?

I b/f my DS for 9 1/2 months, during which time I never got AF. It was until after he was completely weaned that I started charting (3 cycles ago) and have noticed I have a short luteal phase (about 10 days). I have been doing some research and have learnt that high prolactin levels caused through b/f can affect LP. My question is has anyone else experienced this and how long before your cycle corrected itself? Should I start on B6 or wait til it naturally corrects itself in time? Also, anyone know if there is a blood test to detect high levels of prolactin?

Hi Aussie Chick

10 days is a "normal" luteal phase, so there's nothing to worry about (ha, ha, blooming ha - we'll always find something to worry about, right?). Prolactin affects ovulation, not LP per say, and the test for this is a prolactin blood test. The "normal" range on UK tests is very conservative - usually we don't worry unless the person has twice the maximum for "normal" (ie over 1000mU/L), and if you're breastfeeding, or just stopped, most would advise that you check again in 1-3 months to make sure the level is coming down, and how fast it's coming down. Once the prolactin goes back to "normal" then your body should as well.

HTH

My first two cycles after Violet, while still breasfeeding, I had two short luteal phases. I think the firlst was 5 days and the second was 9 days. But ever since it has been 11days.

Tanya