Thread: Baby Bonus - Baby born OS

Default Baby Bonus - Baby born OS

Hi all,

We've been planning to have our baby OS, where my family is. Just wanted to know you're entitled to the baby bonus if your bub is born OS. I'm a PR and my husband is Australian, we both pay our taxes so I would expect that we get the bonus!!
    Does anyone know?

Hoping to get a BFP this cycle!! I hope I dont miss my O this mth

Thanks!!

I would think because the baby is born oversea's it would NOT be a citizen of Australia therefore it wouldnt qualify for the Baby Bonus. Unless you are a citizen as well, then Im pretty sure it automatically gets Aussie citizenship because both parents are. In that case you would qualify I think.

Better to ring Centrelink or look on their website about it.

Prama, it all has to do with the age of the baby when you RETURN to Australia - from memory you have to be back in the country by the time the baby is 26 weeks old.

Thanks Anna,
    DH is a naturalised aussie, so the birth would have to be registered at the Australian High Comm in Kuala Lumpur. I'd have to register bub as well, as I'm still Malaysian.
    Our reason for having our baby in KL is not only cos my family is there, for support, plus bub can have dual citizenship until 18. Unfortunately, M'sia doesnt allow dual citizenship.
    Thanks!! I'll look up Centrelink's website.

Thanks Roryrory!

We'll definitely be back by then!