Thread: Bad Eggs or just Low Estrogen?

Raideress Guest

Default Bad Eggs or just Low Estrogen?

Hi all im fairly new here
    our 1st IVF cycle EPU got us 9 mature eggs, but only 4 fertilized and then only 1 divided properly according to our Dr, but i think they just decided to transfer the best we had, knowing it was unlikely to work, but better than not even trying, So we had nothing for a 2nd try and have to do a full cycle again as IVF #1 was a BFN.

I dont cope well with EPU spend the whole day throwing up and getting injections that dont work to stop me throwing up
    Not looking forward to another EPU & having to wonder if even 25 eggs could end the same.

The Dr says my estrogen was only 1025 3 days before EPU, but they only saw 1 mature egg at EPU and figured thats why my Estrogen was so low and didnt worry, and didnt up my Puregon incase my estrogen sky rocketed at the end, its didnt though, so next time they will up my Puregon if needed mid cycle, and Dr put it up from 183.3 to 250 for next cycle as well.

I was told the low Estrogen was probably the reason for my crappy egg quality/results.
    We have no infertilty factors, just hubby cant reach ejaculation during sex, but he can other ways, LOL TMI?

ANYWAYZ anyone else had bad egg results because low estrogen and then great results the next cycle, or simular stories, looking for hope, could be just i have crappy eggs

Hi Raideress,

Firstly, welcome to BB. Quite a few of us have discovered these forums while searching for information and support to help us with fertility problems. I hope you will find some new friends here in the Assisted Conception and long term TTC threads to help you through these difficult times.

As you have only had one cycle, it is very difficult to tell at the moment exactly what might be going on with your eggs. Is there any other reason such as age that makes you suspect that your eggs might be the problem?

Since your dose of Puregon was a bit on the low side for this first cycle, you might want to defer worry until you see what the next cycle brings. It's pretty common to have a low dose of Puregon first time around if they are not sure how you will respond. I hope that if they up your dose a bit for the next one, you might get the results you are looking for.

Best of luck. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Kind regards,

Mel

Hi Raideress,
    I agree with Mel, the first IVF cycle for anyone is really like an experiment to see how your body responds to the drugs, as everyone responds differently. See what happens this time around - hopefully you will get lots of embryos as your reaction to the anaesthetic sounds horrible. good luck.
    Last edited by anney; January 2nd, 2007 at 09:46 AM.

Raideress Guest

Mel and Anney thanks for the replies, i dont have any major reason to think my eggs are bad, Im 37 this month, and DH is 30 this year.
    I ovulate nomally on a 28 day cycle and havent been diagnosed with any problems before we got bad eggs, and it probably is the low estrogen that caused it.

Kim

Raideress,

I was 37 when I went through my first cycle too and I was also worried about egg quality so I understand a bit about where you are coming from. Your situation sounds a little like mine. I wish you the very best of luck with this next try.