Thread: Blood type

Default Blood type

Hello!
    I don't know whether this is a silly question, but does blood type affect conception and/or pregnancy? :-k
    My blood type is A- and DH is A+.
    Looking forward to any response!

jleigh dust:

Hi Jleighh,

I'm not sure but i've never heard of this being an issue before!

Good luck! O

When you get pregnant you'll need to get the anti-D injection, not sure when though, incase bubby's blood is different to yours. ie. positive like your DHs instead of negative. But if you were both negative or both positive then it wouldnt be a problem.

peppy75 Guest

Hi jleigh
    Your blood types definitely have an impact. My blood type is O negative and DH had to have a blood test to check if he is positive.

If so, I will need to have a series of injections during the pregnancy (I hate needles and blood tests enough as it is!)

My sister also had this issue during her pregnancies but she had the injections and it didn't cause any complications...

Hi jleigh

I'm A- and DH is A+ too! My aunt is -ve ad her DH is +ve; I know once their first was born she needed injections for the second pregnancy. But they didn't have any trouble conceiving either of my cousins (from what I know, but could be very mistaken). It's because negative blood forms antibodies against positive blood and so if your blood and the baby's blood mixes your blood can develop antibodies, then if it mixes with positive blood again your blood will disable the positive blood, causing damage to the baby. It's a really common thing though, so nothing to worry about (I'm not worried about it; injections have never bothered me and I'm sure the docs can take care of me). So you need to get check-ups once you're pregnant, but conception should be fine.

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys for all of that useful info!
    You've been very helpful.

jleigh :lovebb:

magoosmum Guest

Hi

I am AB negative and partner is B positive. I had 2 anti-d injections during my pregnancy and had a very healthy boy in Oct 2005. Strange thing is, he has the same blood type of as me.

Don't worry about it, just talk to your ob/gyno.

Cheers

As the others have said, it can be an issue during pregnancy, but will not affect you being able to concieve.