Thread: Chemical Pregnancies?

kerrie Guest

Default Chemical Pregnancies?

Hi Ladies :smt039

This is my first post here, and I'm not sure if I should post this here or in another area?
    I just had my first chemical preg - 2nd day of AF today. Its the first indication I have EVER had that I am even fertile, which has always been a big concern.

Just wondering, from any ladies who have experienced this, was your AF a lot lot more intense than usual?

Thanks in advance.

*TamaraP* Guest

Firstly welcome to BB Kerrie,

I had a m/c in October this year...a month after that, I got faint BFP then a week later, AF (Chemical Preg) the same happened this month only my period came a day after testing and a few days earlier than expected.

As for the flow or intensity, I am finding they go for longer and a lot more clottier which is not a good sign on my side.
    I find the first day is a dirty brown blood then it slowly goes into a normal period lasting up to 6 days. Before my m/c I was having 3 day periods.

I hope this answer helps.
    There is also a section on Trying to Conceive After Miscarriage or Loss, you should join us in there...

kerrie Guest

Thanks Tamara

I wasn't sure if a chemical preg would be ok to ask about in the section you suggested - I guess it is not the same at all as a m/c when you have known you are pregnant for much longer than a few days.

I had positives for a couple of days, then got my period. They were faint-ish positives, so I was not getting my hopes up anyway. To be perfectly honest, I was a bit gobsmacked to see the lines at all. Nov. was our first cycle TTC.

At least now we know we are CAPABLE of getting pregnant.

Thanks Tamara.

*TamaraP* Guest

You may not have been "pregnant" but you have still suffered a loss. We would not have minded you posting in there at all..

And yes, at least you know you can get pregnant...that is my JOY aswell..

Hi Kerrie,
    I've had two chemical pregnancies and both times i found that AF was much more intense - the cramps were really painful and the bleeding was a lot heavier than normal. After so long TTC it was heart breaking. My specailist couldn't give me a reason as to why it happened - I've only just been for scans and blood tests today - i find out the results next week.
    As you said at least we know we're able to get pregnant - just have to get the next one to stick.
    Good luck

kerrie Guest

Thanks for that

I have been in tears in the last half hour because AF is just SO heavy, like never before (scaring the hell out of me), and I am in quite a lot of pain. I have just got online again to look up ectopic symptoms, as I have never ever experienced AF like this before, and yeh, got 2 positives just before AF arrived.
    I just want to read a bit first as I live in a country town, and if I suspect something's up, we have to drive 6 hours to have tests etc. Its a long way to go for a 'what if'.

hi guys

what is a chemical pregnancy?? i've necer heard of it??

A chemical pregnancy i think is when the egg is fertilised but doesn't implant, or doesnt implant properly and detaches again? Someone correct me if i am wrong...

I have had a m/c and the other i think was a chemical pregnancy. My AF was bright red after both(normally a brownish colour), it didnt go for longer but was a lot more heavier and i had pain which i normally dont get with normal AF.

kerrie Guest

Hi there

I think you are basically right Tegan. All I know is that last week I had 2 BFPs, then a few days later got my period. So yeh, there is fertilisation but not complete implantation (that is my understanding of it anyway, but I'm no doc!). I guess in the past people would never have even known they were pregnant, just maybe had a late period. Now because we can test earlier, we have 'chemical pregnancies'. My doctor told me today that it happens to 1 in 4 pregnancies, and usually people do not even know that they had been technically 'pregnant'. She gave me a scan in the clinic today and said that in a few days everything would be back to normal.... plod along to next cycle!
    Personally, I'd rather be none the wiser and won't be testing early this cycle!

oh okay- gosh - so much is involved.

that i is what i think i had last year- no AF for 3 months last year then had to be hospitalised for pain!!

thanks for that

just want a for christmas

1 in 4 pregnancies hey? Well i've had 3 so far, hopfully that means next one still stick!

gosh- 1 in 4-

i feel so badly for women that go through years of TTC- i'm on month one and am going ](*,) already

i think the mind plays trick - like once you want a baby- you mind does and makes you thik it's preggie every month!!

Chemical Pregnancy
    A very early miscarriage is sometimes referred to as a 'chemical pregnancy'. This is when the pregnancy is confirmed by a very early pregnancy test (before the next period is due or around the time it is due), but 2 - 3 days later a period starts. A urine pregnancy test will often be 'faintly' positive, but a blood test (if one is done) normally shows low HCG levels, which don't increase over time. Without testing, most women are not aware they were briefly pregnant, because there are no obvious physical signs of pregnancy and nothing can be seen on ultrasound.
    Early miscarriages such as these are thought to occur when the egg is fertilised, but dies soon after implantation. These are thought to be fairly common, probably involving up to 30-40% of all pregnancies. The bleeding experienced often resembles a heavier menstrual period, perhaps with some small blood clots, and possibly some cramping.
    I have had 2 chemical pregnancies...one with extreem cramping and heavy bleeding, and another with slow spotting over a number of days...with one day of light bleeding.

We are good at the target practice, but not the sticking..

Quote Originally Posted by ChrissyT
    there are no obvious physical signs of pregnancy
    Well my second loss i had all the signs of my previous pregnancy and even more. So would i class that as a chemical pregnancy or m/c then?

Quote Originally Posted by *Tegan*
    Well my second loss i had all the signs of my previous pregnancy and even more. So would i class that as a chemical pregnancy or m/c then?
    Yeah I too don't agree with that comment...I had morning sickness, and a whole other bag of symptoms for 2 days befor Af arrived...way different to other cycles...

but I wonder how much of it can be phsychosematic (sp?).

Sorry to hear of your loss and the pain your are experiencing Kerry.
    I had a m/c when I was only 5 weeks on the 28th of November. It was termed a 'chemical pregnancy' also. Yes, sadly they are quite common. Like you I certainly won't be testing early this cycle. I wonder if early tests are that great. As soon as you see those two lines you have a lifetime of plans and dreams for that little person. You wonder about how their hair will feel and what colour their eyes will be... It is awful to have that all snatched back so dramatically.
    I managed the cramping with heat packs and my naturopath dropped off some herbs that helped with the miscarriage. Some women choose to use painkillers like panadol or panadeine and this will help with the pain. It is best to stay away from asprin or nurofen as this is contraindicated when you are bleeding heavily. Drink lots of fluids and try to rest as much as possible. If you are at all concerned about the amount of bleeding or the severity of the pain please go and see your GP.I am so sorry you are having to go through this. You have a good chance of having a nice happy healthy sticky pregnancy next time and you are right the up side is that you do know you can conceive.
    Please join us in 'Trying to Conceive after Miscarriage or Loss' forum when and if you chose to try again and please post in the Miscarriage and loss forum too. You will find the support and wonderful women so comforting.
    Love and hugs to you,
    Deb

Quote Originally Posted by *Tegan*
    I don't agree with this comment either - the first time around i had really bad neausea, was waking up at 3am starving - all these symptoms that pointed to me being pregnant, although it didn't show up on a HPT i had it confirmed by a Dr. The second time around i didn't have many symptoms at all....

Here's hoping we all catch a sticky egg very soon.

Boo,
    My experience was I had almost no signs of pregnancy. I had a metallic taste and tingly boobs but I didn't 'feel' pregnant.
    Love and blessings,
    Deb