Thread: Clomid without Monitoring ?

Default Clomid without Monitoring ?

Hello there, This is my first post here in a very long time. Hello

DF & I have been trying for No 2 for 9 cycles now, Ive been to see a gyno & Fertility clinic and have had full bloods, scans, a cycle tracking and a HSG, I have mild PCOS but I am ovulating. So Ive just been back to the gyno a couple days ago and he has prescibed clomid to try for a few cycles, with a day 21 blood test. But then I got a call from the fertility clinic, asking me what I wanted to do now my cycle tracking is over, I told the nurse Im trying clomid for a few cycles. She said she would reccomend having cycle monitoring done (an ovulation induction cycle thru the ivf clinic is $325 and thats really just for the nurses time, scans are charged seperately) So id still be taking clomid but would be having scans to check the follicles, blood test to confirm Ovulation dates, follow up blood tests to check progesterone levels arent dipping etc)

So now Im wondering whether its safe to take clomid without monitoring ?? Id rather not part with another $325.00 if many ladies do it without monitoring, or if its safer for me to have the monitoring ??

Have you taken Clomid without monitoring ?

I never had any scans when I took clomid. I had a BT on day 24. Once when I was taking 50mg which shows I didnt ovulate. Then he upped it to 100mg and I had another BT on day 24 to see if I had ovulated and I did. That was it. he just left me to my own devices and yeah well I'm pregnant now.

I dont think you need to waste money on the monitoring. Its safe not to
    Last edited by Ahurani; September 23rd, 2010 at 10:58 AM.

can you ask your ob to montier you? it will give you the best chance of concieving becauase of timing. i had scans only was just at my ob. he then would say when to do the deed. are you taking your bbt? that will help too.

Hi there, I suppose I could ask my Ob/gyn to scan me, I just thought he would of instructed me to do so if he thought I needed it. I think Ill call and ask to talk to him and see what he thinks about the monitoring.

No I havent taken my BBT, I have tried OPK's but never get a clear result - prob because of my pcos. I will try BBT next cycle !

yes i gave up with opk too- pcos always gave me a2nd line. for me monitory gave me peace of mind also that it was working. so ob would measure the main egg or eggs he could see. and tell me when they were gonna pop!! with #2 first scan showed my eggs wre small may have to do IUI if doesnt work, siad to come back in a week and the he said i was ready and eggs were good andi was going to ov soon. I pref scans cause results are immediate. so i knew right then and there.

hope this round is successful for you

xox

Hi there,

IMO I would have at least the pre-O scan as it this is the only way they can see if the dose is right for you ie: producing the follicle on time and not producing too many of them. Dose can be person specific and can be affected by things like PCOS. Maybe you will only need a couple of monitored cycles. The other stuff you can just monitor yourself like O and BBT to see how many days luteal you get etc.

Hi! I was on clomid for 5 cycles, for the very first cycle I got a bt at day 21 to confirm that I had O'ed, my gyno was happy with that and left me on my own. I fell pg on the 2nd cycle, but sadly m/ced but am now pg from cycle #5! Once ur on clomid try opks because ur hormones shld be stronger and hopefully they work so u can determine O time! I also found i got very tender right across my lower tummy for a couple days when i was about to O.
    I honestly dont think its necessary for u to part with all that money.. if ur not pg after a couple cycles maybe consider it then??
    Good luck!!

that charge is crazy there is no way it cost me that much at all. just my ob scan visits.

I liked having the scanning for all my clomid cycles. I think it was just the added benefit of knowing how my follicles were developing, how many etc.
    I think not having it done just leaves you open to more surprises etc. IE too few or too many follicles maturing, or missing your ovulation times.

me to also seeing things on screen gave me reassurance and also a better insight to my body. plus for hte chance of concieving wre great because i knew exactly what my ovaries were up too.