Thread: CM and Dehydration

Lightbulb CM and Dehydration

Hi everyone,
    I just have a question about CM, after seeing a note in FF about how scant CM can be caused through dehydration. ".... If you still do not see any fertile cervical fluid, your first step is to make sure you are not dehydrated. Drink plenty of water and, unless medically needed, avoid products such as antihistamines that can dry up secretions. "

We've been TTC going into our 7th cycle now. I've only recently (last few months) been diligent about checking CM daily, and last month I only noticed EWC in the latter half of one day. I do get CM, but not copious amounts (sorry if TMI).

It has just occured to me today, and after seeing the note in FF, that maybe I'm a bit too low in CM, and the swimmers aren't surviving - as I've tended to BD on the day or two before Ovulation (not deliberately, just worked out that way).... according to FF, a cause of low amounts of CM may be dehydration, and I'm a bad offender: I have 1 coffee a day, and sometimes - nothing else !!!! If I do remember to drink water, I might manage one glass in a day.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone elses thoughts on this - ie... did they deliberately increase water intake and did it have an affect on amount of CM? I'm going to make an effort from now on to drink 1 litre of water per day and see what happens....

Wow Deni, I'd love to hear if you notice any difference once you start drinking that extra water!

A couple of months ago, Green Tea became very "in vogue" in the TTC 1-6 mths thread, there were ladies guzzling it by the jugload (just ask Ngala - Veronica :wink ! I wonder if the difference was from the tea or if it was just from the extra liquids?!

Will keep watching this thread with interest!
    :-)

Interesting...never heard of this but it does make sense.

Interesting very interesting.. The best way i find to make sure i drink heaps of water when i first started to do it is always have a bottle of water at hand and a few in the fridge well we have heaps because we both have become BIG drinkers in the last 12 mths or so...So if you work at a desk maybe have one on hand and be sure that you drink heaps.. I might do a test over the next day or so.. I didnt drink much yesterday as i would normally and had very little cm today but more now then earlier.... I will drink a heap tomorrow and not much the next day and see maybe....

Also on noticing more cm on afternoons i definately noticed that most days.... I would start drinking more cant hurt and when you do fall pg you can get really really thirsty so get used to it.... Mine was extreme thirst...
    Last edited by janeo; January 6th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.

thanks girls, yes well drinking more water would be good for me anyway so can't hurt (unless you drink WAY too much - as in litres and litres and litres per day, it's possible to die from that, I once heard !!! how weird!! something to do with electrolytes. )

Anyway, getting of track! Good advice janeo about keeping the bottles handy.

Marydean, I quite like green tea and drink a bit of that anyway... they might also have some fertility properties as my friend visited a natropath and she put her onto a certain type of chinese tea, tho not sure what particular leaf it was or what the effect was meant to be..

Green tea is meant to help you produce more cm.... It worked for Ngala

poppet Guest

i did read somewhere, i think on FF that drinking more water can contribute to increasing CM - kinda makes sense too, if your body is well hydrated its making your insides well nourished.......something like that.

I haven't noticed a difference with increasing water but I have been taking Evening Primrose Oil for the last two cycles and I definitely have noticed an increase in EWCM. I was only having it for one day and now I'm getting a few days of good fertile EWCM.

rallybbek Guest

Hi Doza,
    You should be drinking 1500ml of fluid a day for your own health. This should include mainly water, but drinking herbal teas ould be included. It is not neccessary to drink large amounts of fluid. How needs to live in the toilet!!!lol
    Bec

Thanks for all your comments girls... i'm onto the water thing now ! (and a few cups of grean tea )

richdi40 Guest

Yes, drinking water will definately increase ur CM. I also read that on FF and started drinking the water a few months ago and voila, definately an increase in CM.

Goodluck to u and I hope u catch that egg.

clare076 Guest

I increased my water intake to 2L a day the cycle I got my BFP and had copius amounts of CM, but I also took vit b6 for the first time so not sure which it was related too. If you dont notice any diference with the increased fluids, give the b6 a try. You can buy it from the supermarket fairly cheap.

Thanks clare and richdi, glad to know that water has helped you guys !! I'm really needing to change my habits to make me remember to drink water. b6 is a good idea too - though i'll see how i go with the water first.

richdi40 Guest

Ur welcome Deni, goodluck and dont forget to drink that water