Thread: Cold & Flu tabs - 2ww

Question Cold & Flu tabs - 2ww

Hi Girls,

Just afer a few opinions. I'm currently in 2ww and have started coming down with a bad cold/flu. The rest of my family has had it so I know it's a pretty bad dose. While I am not holding out much hope for this month (sick of being disappointed) I have held off going to the Drs to get antibiotics or taking any cold and flu tablets.

What do you think? Would you take them or not?? So far i've been getting by on panadol and lemon tea but don't know how i'll go if I get much sicker.

This is probably controversial but the initial implantation of a pregnancy is anaerobic (without oxygen) according to my gynae. Attachment to the mothers blood supply does not happen until after you are aware you are pregnant (the reason why a big night out prior to knowing you are pregnant is not considered critical in the development of the baby - just don't keep doing it of course).

So .... using this theory, medication taken during the 2ww *shouldn't* be a problem. However, the other side of the coin is that all medications can have an impact on the development of a baby. I guess you need to weigh up the options and make the decision that is right for you.

I am currently in the lead up to ovulation and I have been taking cold and flu medications to survive this yucky bug and to feel semi-human but each to their own. Hope you feel better soon

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the info. Just read in another post that you aren't feeling too good today - that makes two of us!

Still haven't taken anything, will see how sick I get

Hope you are feeling better VERY soon, I see it's coming up to your O time - good luck!!

Hi Willow,
    Cold and Flu tabs usually have an antihistamine on board and are often paracetamol based. I really don't see any harm in taking them in the 2ww. Recent studies have shown that women who consume ibuprofen just prior to conception and after have a higher incidence of miscarriage so I would steer well clear of them.

:hugs: Colds and flu's are miserable, I hope that soon you feel brighter..

Thanks Bel - i hope you feel better soon too!!!

Thanks guys. Deb, I knew about the ibuprofen, a friend of mine took massive doses for a cold in her 2ww after concieving on her second cycle of clomid :eek: Luckily, her baby is now a beautiful 6 month old

I am a worrier by nature, I think at this point it just isn't worth the stress I'd cause myself if I were *lucky* enough for this to be my month - probably not likely but you gotta keep the faith!

How about the Lemsip cold and flu tabs? I'm sure they're just herbal - I'll have to find them in the morning to be sure - but I know the night time ones only have a certain herbal treatment to help you sleep - valerian I think it is? Don't quote me, but I'm sure it'd be fine to take - and like the other ladies said, it should be ok

Do what you feel comfortable doing

Hope you're feeling better soon
    Bec

Some of them have aspirin in them which is not so good. You need to check them carefully. Some of the herbal preparations are also contraindicated in pregnancy / conception.

Yep, the Lemsip lemon drink (similiar to the tablets but you make it up with hot water) says 'do not use if pregnant' so that's enough of a warning for me!

Thanks Michelle, thankfully I am feeling better today so hopefully on the back end of it.