Thread: Confused

Question Confused

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. Today is the first day of my second cycle off the pill and TTC. My cycle is extremly light (to the point were it stopped during the day). I have had some cramping but not like I usually would. Is this normal after coming off the pill?

Confused!!

Bree

Hi Bree,

This is not abnormal at all. It can take a number of cycles for your body to return to it's "normal" pattern with your period (AF). This is due to your body re-establishing it's natural hormonal pattern throughout the cycle after coming of the pill. Part of the way the pill works as a contraceptive is to suppress and control your natural hormones so that you don't ovulate, as well as making your reproductive environment hostile to sperm and possible embryos. It can take time for your body (particularly your pituitary gland) to wind up and start producing it's normal hormones after being fooled for a while.

In fact, it's possible that your period (not your natural hormones) might not revert to what it was prior to being on the pill, particularly if you have been on it long-term. This certainly happened to me on both the OCP and Mirena IUD. I have always been lighter after having problems with dysmenorrhea (heavy, painful periods) from teenage years onwards and was on OCP and Mirena at various times to help the problem. When coming off each time, I had very light periods for at least 3 or 4 months, and then they would slowly get heavier and little more painful over time but never as severe as they first were.

If you have any worries about the changes your body is going through and how that will affect TTC, I would suggest going to see your GP to discuss them.

Hope this is helpful. Try to stress about it too much, hun. It's pretty normal for your body to take time to adjust to having to produce it's hormones again all on it's own! If there's anything else you need to know, feel free to ask - there are lots and lots of lovely people here who know aaaall about these things

Take care,

Miss C
    Last edited by Acacia; January 17th, 2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: sp

Hi Miss C

Thankyou very much for your help. I was a bit confused, but that would make sence.
    Thanks again.

Kind regards
    Bree