Thread: Confused about hormone BT results

Default Confused about hormone BT results

I could do with some advice from anyone who understands hormone BT results. I got results today that I don't understand and the doctor wasn't good at explaining.

All my results fell within the correct ranges for the follicular phase which was when the BT was done. I'm confused by two parts.

The first is about progesterone. My result was <1 which it says is normal for follicular phase but shouldn't there be some progesterone in my system?

The second is the more concerning one. For Oestradiol I got a reading of 226 which says its normal in the follicular phase but then there is a note saying that it is above the upper limit of reference range. What does that mean. My doctor said it was too high but the range for this on the paperwork says 143-693 which I'm well within.

The tests were taken 1 week after an early miscarriage if that helps at all.

Ha ha, how sad replying to my own thread. Sorry just doing it to make it pop up in the new posts search just in case someone out there understands what my tests mean.

Mostly I'm just wanting to know why my Oestradiol reading of 226 is considered high.

Anyone?

Hi Satya,
    The progesterone level is definitely low...I had two BTs on my first cycle of Clomid and one was 1.0 and the other was 2.1 and my FS said that both were low and showed no ovulation.

I searched on the net for you for info on Oestradiol and found the following:

The ovulatory mechanism also produces the two ovarian hormones, oestradiol and progesterone. Oestradiol is produced alone by the developing follicle before ovulation; it stimulates the glands of the cervix to secrete a particular type of mucus ("mucus with fertile characteristics") which is essential for the sperm to pass through the cervix and reach the ovum. Oestradiol also stimulates growth of the endometrium lining the uterus (womb). After ovulation, progesterone and oestradiol are produced by the corpus luteum which forms from the ruptured follicle. This progesterone causes the abrupt change in the mucus which occurs immediately after ovulation and defines the Peak symptom. Progesterone also prepares the oestrogen-primed endometrium for implantation of the fertilized ovum.
    In the absence of pregnancy, production of oestradiol and progesterone begins to decline approximately 7 days after ovulation and this results in shedding of the endometrium as menstrual bleeding 11-16 days after ovulation.
    What does the test result mean?
    Increased or decreased levels of oestrogen are seen in many metabolic conditions. Care must be used in the interpretation of oestrone, oestradiol, and oestriol levels because their levels will vary on a day-to-day basis and throughout the menstrual cycle. If your doctor is monitoring your hormone levels, s/he will often be looking at trends in your levels, rising or falling over time, rather than at single values. It must be remembered that a diagnosis cannot be made solely based on one test result.

I couldn't find much on what it all meant actually....but maybe you should have another blood test to check the levels again?

Hope this Helps
    SAM

Thanks sam, that eases my mind slightly. Thank you so much for your research that was very kind of you.