Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could she be pregnant??

*TamaraP* Guest

Default Could she be pregnant??

God this hurts me to type...

My friend who has been on the pill for years and floats around from relationship to relationship seems to think she maybe pregnant.

She doesn't want to go to the DR's as she is so scared so I told her to do a HPT. Anyways I got a phone call at work... "its faint what does that mean. It looks like its there but isn't!!"
    I said it could be a false + its hard to tell.

The thing is... my friend was sick ooo about a month ago. Didn't click or think that antibiotics can cause ovulation and continued to DTD. A week or so later she got some breakthrough bleed.
    She thought it could be her body telling her to bring on a period as she skips them a bit with the pill (hehe Gotta love the pill)...

She brought on her "period" which was light and lasted all of three days and hardly anything. That was roughly two weeks ago.

Now she is feeling run down, lathargic...

Reason I am doing this (and also pains me) is because she hasn't got access to the net, she doesn't want to use it at home becuase of her parents and she isn't in a stable relationship.

So after all that...

Is it possible even though she brought on a period for her to be pregnant... and could the HPT give her a false reading???

Hi Tamara,
    I'm by no means trying to be an expert here, but if the HPT has a second, even faint line, it could be +ve. Those packets always state that it does mean +ve and the HcG levels are probably still increasing. So further HPT's could show a heavier line after that, if indeed your friend is pg. If so, I hope everything works out OK

yeah tam, hard to say. Very possible to be +. She really needs to do another test or go to gp.

*TamaraP* Guest

Oh god she is too scared to go the GP... and I mean scared... she just wants to know VIA HPT. Which I am now trying tell her while on the phone to her...GO to the GP for gods sake.

regardless of what the hpt tells her, wont she need to go to docs anyway? to confirm and then find out options?

tell her faint means positive...then she can work out what she wants?

As the others have said, it really is too hard to tell wether it was a true +, or maybe an evaporation line??
    I think if she has been missing the pill, had antibiotics and then a period that was so light, she really needs to get a blood test, just to be 100% sure, as I am sure that the not knowing for definate is probably driving her insane
    Best of luck to her, i really hope she gets the answer she wants, wether - or +

*TamaraP* Guest

Danni - she knows that I have told her that... but she wants to hold out as long as possible. IYKWIM.

For others, some people would be rushing to go to the GP for her its a wait and see.

malimum Guest

U r such a good friend to her Tamara. I have always gone to the doc's for a bt. But on one occasion i used a hpt and the line showed up straight away. But a faint +ve ususall means the start of a pg. Maybe her hcg levels arent strong enough to make the line more noticeable. She would be betta off going to the dr's for a bt. Ne way hope all works out for your friend.

Malimum

well I guess thats all the info you can give her Tam? Now she has to do what she thinks is best

HI Tamara, all true, but it could just be prolonging the obvious..? Lil Aussie is right & as you'd understand, the doctor keeps everything confidential. There's only so many HPTs you can do. At some point a doc will have to confirm either way by blood test, & that's what your friend's next decision hinges on. Great that she's got good friends like you to help her out.

*TamaraP* Guest

Thanks girls... I guess its just really hard for her. I will be there for her in anyway.

But I am still after information... I mean can this really happen. Be pregnant even though you get a bleed!!?!?! It kinda scares me!

yep some people can bleed a lot through pregnancy.

Me again Tamara! I suppose it depends on how heavy it was, you said it only lasted 3 days or so and was light? Could be the 'implantation' bleed when the embryo settles into the uterus wall...? Some women get that, some don't. I guess you & your friend can only keep an eye out for other symptoms in the meantime. All the best,

*TamaraP* Guest

Yeh but still on the pill, thats whats freaking her and me out. I have never heard anything of it.

but whilst she took antibiotics the pill isnt working...so the breakthrough bleed or implantation bleed would have occured whether she was on the pill or not iykwim?

hmm i dunno if that makes sense

I have heard of the antibiotics thing happening alot. Has even happened to close friends of mine. I would say you are doing your best and there's not much else you can do. She can't wait forever eventually there will be other symptoms and then eventually after that a baby. You are being a great friend.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Tamara, 2 of my close friends have gotten pg while on the pill
    1 was on antibiotics and didn't know the pill doesn't work while taking them.

Hello, I agree, maybe the best thing is for her to see a dr. She may not be comfortable seeing her usual family dr, so I'd encourage her to go to a local women's health clinic or family planning clinic instead. They will be able to hook her up with some counselling so she can come to grips with it if she is Pg in a supportive and nonjudgementall atmosphere. Go with her if that's the support she needs.

Yes it is possible to get pg on the pill and continue to bleed while you are pregnant. Hugs to you both!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast