Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Insemination ??!?

Talking DIY Insemination ??!?

Hey all,

OK I just got back from lunch with a friend, who told me (after I complained that I think we've missed O this cycle because my DH works away on a fly in / fly out roster), that a friend of her DP got his wife pregnant while away - he left a sample in the fridge and she must've used a turkey baster or something ?? She's now pregnant!

I've heard about this before but always thought it was a bit of a joke / unlikely.

But if it IS possible to do it (and do it safely), it would be quite handy.. specially for us gals who have DPs who have fly in / fly out rosters.. I'm talking only missing O by about 3 or 4 days.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm going to ask my doctor at our first FS appointment but that isn't t until May.

I didn't think sperm would last that long. It would need 'optimum' conditions.

I know even when my friend had to take her DH's sperm sample for analysis that she put it (in it's jar) down her clevage to keep it at as close to body temperature as possible.

Someone else might know otherwise!

Hmm interesting...sounds a little to 'easy'..but maybe it is possible?

As Wardygirl said....id say it would need to be kept at body temp....not fridge temp...thats normally 4 degrees?? Thats pretty cold. But im no expert.....so i hope you find the answer ur looking for!!!

That doesn't sound likely. Like wardygirl said I had to take my ex's sperm in a jar to the clinic and I was told to keep it between my legs while driving to keep it alive.

Yep i was under the same impression that sperm needs to be kept at body temperature.

Ask Ursula-- she is in a female-female relationship and relied on insemination to fall pregnant. Hopefully she knows more

the more I think about , the less likely I think it is. I googled "DIY insemination" and some of the sites do explain how it's done, but it's based on doing it within half an hour of ejaculation.

At the risk of sounding REALLY unromantic about all of this, I wonder how bull sperm is transported for cow insemination?? Dont they sometimes send/receive between states?

Maybe we should just go on a BDing holiday, haha ...

how cold does it have to be to be frozen? I would assume deeper than normal freezer temp, but don't they freeze sperm prior to usage in some cases.

Sperm has to be kept warm not cold...dont think it happen that way....:P

im pretty sure it needs to be kept at a very very cold temperature to be frozen...

Deni - sperm for livestock (horses at least!) is "snap" frozen immediately after retrieval and transported with dry ice - bit like human organs.

Unless refigerating them sends them into hibernation and maybe they "come alive" again once warmed up to body temperature????

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

deni,

Your FS should be able to organise for your DH to give a sample at the clinic for insem when you O. My cousin's DH flys in/out and was told they could do it this way. Safer than a turkey baster and the sample in the fridge maybe?

Hmm yes you're probably right sushee haha.... never mind, hopefully we won't need to do that if DH can re-organise his schedule. Tho it seems to be taking some time !!!

When animal semen is collected for later IA it's usually treated by thining it out in a special solution and then inserted into straws and snap frozen. I'm not sure what the deal is with keeping sperm alive for 4 days at home is but if you think about the fact that healthy sperm can survive for 5 days in a healthy female reproductive system, then why not try having sex just before he leaves and hoping for the best?
    Last edited by expat; March 31st, 2007 at 02:22 AM. Reason: missing something

human sperm I would think would have to be "snap" frozen too. That must be what they do at sperm banks, it's not like a car dealership where you can walk in, test drive the guy you want, put a down payment on him and take him home...LOL. Although maybe it should be

I think sushee brings up a good game plan if you and your DH are unable to reconfigure his schedule.

sare31 Guest

I have an image in my head of a jar of creamy substance in the fridge and dear old nanna coming around, having a swig, and complaining that the milk has gone off!

sare31, that was an image best left in your mind. I did not need to share that image with you.

Ah Deni - i've had a bit of a hoot reading this.
    Someone is either telling porkies - or they got pg before he left and didn't realise it was the right time.
    If you were going to miss O time for a while i think you could see a FS and they could get some of DH's sperm to use while he was away.
    You can be like me - get pg without DH being within a mile of you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast