Thread: dizziness

Default dizziness

Hi All

Im about 7 weeks pregnant and i havent got morning sickness but from about 3pm everyday i start to get quite dizzy . I usually have a sleep after work but it doesnt really help. I usually feel better if i eat pasta or bread or mangoes. I have previously been told i have LPP. Im seeing my ob in 2.5 weeks so ill double check with her then. But has anyone else experienced dizziness like this??

Sara

Yes - although it's not necessarily pg related (I had this worse pre-pregnancy because I wasn't looking after myself so well). You need more fluids, and probably more iron in your system - throughout the day, not just when the dizziness starts. At 7w pg your body is making loads more blood so you need these things. Are you taking pregnancy multivitamins and remembering your (at least) 5L of fluids a day?

Also, make sure you move around carefully, try not to run everywhere.

hi ryn,
    im taking floradix as an iron supplement. i prob could be drinking alot more water though. what other pregnancy vitamins should i be taking?

I'm taking a general pregnancy multivitamin tablet - so I have folic acid, iron, vitamin B2, B6, B12, C, D and E, zinc, copper, manganese, magnesium... lots of various things. I don't think they're strictly all necessary, but my iron levels are usually lower end of normal (they've stayed there throughout pregnancy - iron tablets are great!) so I wanted iron, and these tablets claim they are "scientifically proven" to help build a healthy baby. I know, it's laughable, but even the breakfast cereal over here is fortified with these things so I can't avoid it.

Just make sure you're eating and drinking enough - not for two, but enough for one and a foetus. I know I feel really rotten when I try to cut down on what I'm eating, so now I'm snacking at night and hoping it doesn't go to my thighs.

I read your symptoms and from my line of work (personal trainer) I know that the dizziness at 3pm is a very very common problem for many people - pregnant or otherwise due to a dip in their blood sugar levels. You should strongly look at trying to avoid pasta and bread at that time and instead arrange to eat LOW GI foods from morning till night which will regulate your blood sugar (therefore stop any insulin spikes) which will help avoid the 3pm problem. Pasta/Bread are high GI and are a quick fix yes, but what happens is your body absorbs the energy very quickly, burns it up quickly, then you go flat again after a short time. If you eat low gi foods you will have more constant energy levels and less dizziness.

Of course there could be other factors causing it, but as soon as I read your post it sounded like a GI issue with food. Hope that helps and gives you something to look into.

Best of luck!

ness