thread: Does anyone know the answer to this - about online pharmacies

Mumeee Guest

Unhappy Does anyone know the answer to this - about online pharmacies

My friend is "obsessed" with having twins (not sure why, I have them and it is bloody hard work, having one at a time is so much easier)
    Anyway-
    She recently ordered CLOMID from one of those online pharmacies which are based overseas and I am REALLY WORRIED!

Aside from the obvious about not knowing what you are actually taking - it could be anything AND the lack of medical supervision etc
    From my understanding Clomid requires a prescription in Australia doesnt it?
    Isnt it illegal to import medications that require prescriptions?

I always thought it was a bit dodgy - those online pharmacies, especially when they are based in the USA where they actually post you sample drugs to your house! Or worse still based in third world countries like Mexico.

Does anyone know anything about it? - She said it was an Australian pharmacy but I really dont think she read the fine print.

I'm really worried I am going to see her on Border Security when they open the "package"- she seems to think it is all fine, legal and no problem.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

Maybe you could check out the customs website for info. Highly irresponsible of your friend that's for sure.

Mumeee Guest

I know I am SO SO worried.
    I'm not sure what is more worrying - the legalities or if per chance it makes it un-noticed thru customs - her taking it.
    Some people wont listen to reason.

Dec 2005

Just out of curiousity I went and had a look at the customs website and yes, they will take a further look at it if it is medication and as soon as they x-ray it the pills will show up, but the only concern is what, if any, are the legal ramifications of importing (even if you just buy over the net for your own personal use you are considered by customs to be an importer) medications if you need a script for them in Australia.

Mumeee Guest

I'm not sure where to look for that info. I am pretty sure it is illegal though because otherwise why would anyone go to a GP for things they could get over the net.
    Maybe I watch too much TV (that Border security show makes it look like nothing escapes them)
    I know it isnt really my problem, it is not me ordering online, but I'm just worried that I know about it.
    I think if it does actually arrive, and I cant convince her not to take it, I will be telling my GP (She uses the same one) thats all I can do.

Dec 2005

Regardless of the getting it here issue, the biggest one is self medicating herself with something that she probably doens't need just to try to see if she can get twins - if she needed it she sould have no trouble getting a script for it from her own Dr.