Thread: Doing the right thing?

Default Doing the right thing?

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the following.
    I use OPKs and have had no problem falling Pg in the past. I use the Confirm brand. With this brand I always show a second line all be it quite feint. I usually start testing on day 10. My cycle can be anywhere from 28 days to 31 days. As I approach 'O' the test line gets darker. Then I usually get a day when both lines are the same colour within the five minute wait. I can usually then guarantee that the next day the test line will be much darker than the control line within about 30 seconds of starting the test. It stays like this for about 3-4 days. The next day or 2 I will get a reading of both lines being the same within 5 mins again and then the next day the test line would have gone back to being lighter than the control line. We BD from day 11 every second day until about day 21 or day 22 (depending on when I 'O'). I used to use the Fortel brand and although I had 2 successful pregnancies with that , I prefer Confirm. Fortel is less sensitive and only ever showed 2 lines exactly when I was 'O'ing. I prefer knowing about the lead up.

I also am using progesterone cream for a possible luteal phase defect although I don't think this is a major problem. I start using the cream when I have had 3 days of test lines being darker than the control line within the first 30 seconds. When I first used it my GP said wait until the tests turned neg. again then right up until AF arrived (obviously keep using it if AF didn't turn up and I got a BFP) but it didn't seem to work. She told me to start earlier. Am I using it at the right time? Too early? Should I wait a couple more days? Does anyone have any thoughts? Am I just obsessing? After the loss of Luke last year I so desparately want another baby but I am afraid I am worrying too much. Also too old?(43).

I guess I'm after reassurance more than anything that I am doing everything possible.
    Thanks for listening.
    Debbie

Hi Debbie,
    I love opk's and I think they tell us with reasonable accuracy when our window of opportunity is open.
    Can I ask why you think you have a LP defect?

There are two remedies for LP defect that have practically no side effects and that is vitex and Vitamin B6. If you think you have a LP defect then I would highly recommend you look into taking these supplements. Ideally see a naturopath for a personalised consultation.

I know that the progesterone creams are used by some women, I personally haven't any experience with them. Vitex will balance the hormones increasing the luteal phase by enhancing progesterone production. Which is what youare doing with the progesterone cream esentially. The difference with vitex and b6 is that they balance all the hormones not just progesterone so it has more of a levelling effect. My girlfriend accesses natural progesterone over the internet from the US. She uses this for menopause related issues though.

I know how hard the ttc journey is an I know how it feels to be racing against the clock. We are supposed to just relax, so they say! Not so easy.
    I too have had great results using opk's and am praying for a BFP soon.

I hope you get yours soon too.
    Big hugs,

Deb,
    Thanks for the encouraging words. They really do help.

I have always had a 14 day LP. After the loss of Luke I found that I was getting my normal positive results with the OPKs but my LP had changed. My LP has been as follows over last 7 months. 10 days, 10 days, 12 days, 13 days (first with Prog cream), 13 days, 14 days, 14 days. I have also been taking B6 but not vitex. I was going to start vitex but then the GP gave me the cream. As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't really think I have a bad LP defect. The shorter phases could just have been my system and hormones getting back to normal after delivering Luke. The phase going back to normal may have nothing to do with using the cream - it may have happened anyway. I guess because of my age I didn't want to wait around too long and wanted to do everything and anything to kick things along!.

I have had positive OPK results (as described in previous post) from day 13 to day 19 this cycle. Today is day 20. Giving the time when I probably 'O'd, this cycle should be 28 or 29 days long so I am well and truely in the TTWW. Keep everything crossed for me and I will do the same for you. I wish both our dreams come true.

Hugs to you too.
    Debbie

Thanks Debbie for your kind wishes - I will be barracking for you too!

It is really really normal to have a shorter LP post partum. I have had an 11 day one and a 12 day one since birthing in March. I checked this out with my ob as, like you I wanted to get on with things as I am hearing that clock a ticking! He emailed me some literature and it is very very normal for the LP to take time to settle.

Have you always had positive opk's for 7 days or has that just been since Lukes birth?
    Usually the surge is only detectable for 2 days or so. (meaning fully positive).

Tell me to go away if you don't want to answer! I am just interested in all things opk!

Deb,
    don't worry, I really don't mind the questions. It's good to chat about it.

I only get a 7 day period of positives with that particular brand (Confirm). When I used to use Fortel, I only got positives for 2-3 days with second line fading on 3-4th day and then only one line after that. With Confirm I always show a second line all be it feinter than the control one. I changed brands by accident really. I needed more (Fortel), but they were out of stock so I bought the Confirm brand not thinking that there would be much difference. I'd had 3 days of no second line with Fortel and then the Confirm showed a second line. The test wasn't positive and didn't turn so for a couple of days. I had one day of the lines being the same colour followed by 3 days of the test line being a lot darker than the control within 30 seconds and then 2 days of the lines being the same again (taking 5 minutes to show that) and then back to feint test line again. Out of curiosity, the following cycle I used both brands at the same time to check whether I had changed or if it was the brands. When using them at the same time everyday I got a 2-3 day positive and no second line before or after with the Fortel brand and 6-7 day positive with feint second line before and after with Confirm. I therefore decided that Confirm must just be a lot more sensitive. It didn't mean I was surging for longer but at least it gave me a bit more warning of the surge coming so that we could start BD as soon as poss and for as long as poss.

I did this try out in Feb or March 2005 and fell pregnant with Luke in May so only 2 cycles of trying. I usually fall pregnant quite easily. The only time it seems to take a while is after I have suffered a loss (11 months of TTC after losing the twins and this is my 8th cycle after Luke). I think stress (should relax!!) plays a huge part in it. I fell pregnant with Matthew after only BD once that cycle (My husband was away a lot then). Chloe was second cycle after blighted ovuum. Grace was first try the week after stopping breastfeeding Chloe. So I'm hoping that my turn will come again soon. My husband doesn't think I am too old. He says just because you are 43 doesn't mean that you suddenly can't get pregnant anymore as everyone is different. I know he is right as I have met lots of women in their twenties who have been trying longer than me after a loss and still aren't pregnant yet.

I agree with what you say. I am sure it takes the body a while to recover after birth and cycles don't always return back to normal straight away. My LP phase probably would have regulated itself even without the cream. I didn't use OPK's straight after losing the twins. I think we had been trying for about 8 or 9 months before I bought one. For all I know my LP was out of whack after that birth and I wouldn't have known (didn't realise about CM back then). And after Matt, Chloe and Grace I wasn't looking to get pregnant until at least 9 or 10 months after (with Matt we waited just over 2 years and fell pregnant with twins on 5th cycle) so again I wouldn't have known as I wasn't using OPK's.

Deb, better let you go now or you might fall asleep!!!!! What a long post.

Thanks again for the concern. It is so great to talk to someone knowledgable without having to see the GP or OB. The GP that prescribed the prog. cream wsn't my normal one as she was away. I did get the feeling that this one was concentrating on my age rather than any previous history. I guess it was also my fault as I was desparate to kick start things as time just seemed to be flying by.

Take care and best wishes and hugs,
    Debbie

Thanks Debbie
    Ah it is clearer now! Yes, a lot of people don't realise that opk's have differing sensitivities. I am doing a bit of an experiment this cycle using two brands. One I always get a second line albiet feint. My usual I only ever get a second line if I am surging or if I am pregnant!

I am sure you will conceive soon given your history. I too (please let it still be so - she prays fervently!)haven't had much trouble conceiving. Our third child took about 8 months which I was starting to get a bit strung out about!

I am getting a bit toey, I just want that baby to come to me soon!!!

Yes, I would say you would have regulated without the progesterone. Have you given any thought to vitex or VB6?

I like chatting too. We have similar stories you and I. I look forward to journeying with you.
    Sorry this is quick, my girls are asleep and I am racing against the clock!!!!
    Big hugs,

Deb, you lucky thing! Both your girls asleep! Chloe turned 4 in March and hasn't really had a nap since she was 2 1/2. Grace is 2 3/4 and stopped having regular naps a couple of months ago. Both of them started taking ages to go to sleep (by which time I had to wake them up again for the school run) and they started being hard to get to bed. Both have always been really good and easy sleepers and once I dropped the regular nap they went back to bed at 7.30 and awake at 7.00-7.30 the next morning. They hardly ever wake during the night and if they do it's only for the toilet or a bad dream. I do miss the slight break during the day though. It's always a useful time to catch up on things or simply relax!!!

Yes, I take B6 and have done so for about 4-5 months. I'm thinking of giving up the cream next cycle and maybe use Vitex instead in future. From memory do you take it up until 'O' time and then stop until AF arrives? Can't quite remember.

Yes, we both like to chat. Must be something in the name!! I always read your posts with interest and was devastated when you posted regarding your most recent loss. I cried for ages both for you and for me as it brought back the memories and images of Luke last year. We share a common bond as do so many of us on this site.

Thanks for answering my queries and for your observations.

Happy chatting and oh!! musn't take up too much of your time as you will be other wise occupied for a few days???!!! (judging by your ticker!). Hope this is the one.
    Hugs and fingers crossed.
    Debbie

Thanks Emma.
    Debbie