Thread: Don't eat peas? What the?!

Default Don't eat peas? What the?!

Hello, I've been reading "Getting Pregnant: What you need to know right now" by some fertility expert dude Lauersen. He suggests in the section about antifertility foods, not to eat PEAS (they contain high levels of m-xylohydroquinone) which appears to have contraceptive effects.

What the?!! (It ain't easy been green)

I also read Zita West's book (have more sex) and one of Francesca Naish (go on a health junket), both good, nothing quite so surprising in them, though.

Which "how to get pregnant" books are you reading/have you read, and tidbits that are unusual or surprising to share?

:-)

Poor peas ...

I would seriously think that our high sugar, high fat, high preservative diet would have a much greater effect on fertility than peas, but what do I know lol.

Good call Cherie, and how many peas does one have to eat for tem to have the conraceptive affect? It's probably something like a kg a day! LOL

I'm not reading any ttc book atm... but I am sure there are a lot of, What the's in them

Tanya

I've just done a search & haven't come up with anything to support that peas are bad for fertility. In fact I have found quite a few sites that say the opposite - any sites for nutrition & infertility I have found actually have peas listed under nearly every vitamin & mineral that you need.

ETA: Sorry don't mean to try & discredit the book, but having fertility issues I like to research things & want to make sure if there is some truth to it that I stop eating peas (or whatever it is in question ).

I read Natural Way to Better babies and i was convinced I'd never get pregnant. I LOVED Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Nearly all my friends have borrowed it. It's easy to follow and very positive.

Those dang peas!!!LOL how funny.....I wonder if they recommend pregnant women to avoid them during pregnancy....Esp if it's supposed to have a contraceptive type effect....whats it doing to my bubba LOL!

I have been looking for some support for my anti-peas campaign! They are evil I swear and now I know why I would do my darndest to never eat them (hiding them in meat pies and all!! LOL) Even if it turns out to not be fully factual.....this is now my war cry:

"Ever want to be a mum??" (I ask a 3 year old) "Don't eat peas!!! "

LMAO Charlyfrog.....You've lost the plot hehehehehe!!!!

LOL!! Evil peas!!!

Sarah, I agree, I haven't done any research on this one, but the book struck me as well, rather American in it's approach (for many reasons, not just the peas)!

Jule, thanks for the book tip, I'll look that one up at the Library.
    :-)

I eat peas quite a lot... not noticed any contraceptive effects here.

I think my DH read more books on how to get pregnant... well, magazines really. And not many articles on how to get pregnant, just a few pictoral guides. I tended to read books that were TTC and pg all in one so I didn't have to rush out and get new books when I got a BFP.

Never heard of not eating peas.

I am another who followed the guidelines in the book 'The Natural Way to Better Babies' as well as went to a naturopath trained in Franscesca Naish's methods. We conceived on the first attempt with Amy. Have been trying for almost 12 months for # 2 and haven't followed it...might be something there.

Debbie Lee Guest

Hahaha... oh dear! We have peas at least 3 times a week! Maybe that's my problem

Can't you just imagine sitting down with a teenage daughter saying "eat your peas or you'll get pregnant" LOL

That is completely ridiculous about peas, Marydean, I agree.

I also have a book called "Getting Pregnant" but obviously it isn't the same author. If I read something like that I would have been so angry, I would have thrown the book out.

Jule - I agree about NWTBB. I didn't think it was particularly helpful either.

Cherryrose Guest

I have just finished reading a book called The Infertility Cure by Randine Lewis, this lady has studied both Eastern and Western medicine and is a master in science in Oriental medicine. She has a clinic in the US and has managed results on 75% of her patients, most of which had failed to get results through standard Western medicine. I found this book really interesting, through reading it I discovered I had a Kidney Yang deficiency and a Cold Uterus. I have taken some of the suggestions in the book on board, and am hoping that might be lucky for me.