Thread: Exercise

Smile Exercise

Is there a possibility that high impact exercise may be hindering my chance of becoming pregnant?

My husband and good friend think that I should slow down on my exercise routine. I go to the gym four to five times a week and mainly do high impact classes and I like to really get into too so i do jump around a lot. They have suggested that I do some low impact exercise for a couple of months eg. pilates, yoga and stationary bike riding instead.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area or think that this may be a good idea?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bubbles; January 15th, 2007 at 09:16 AM.

i guess there is no real evidence with this.

I always exercised in the beginning of my cycle, but after ovulation, I would relax to try and get everything to stick

hth

I used to go to the gym 4-5 times a week and do two classes as well. For the first 2 cycles I was doing everything as normal but on my 3rd cycle I decided to tone it down after ovulation. And as it turned out, that was the cycle I got pg!

I think I read somewhere that excercise shouldnt really matter.. I guess it is just a personal choice...

Great question bubbles.

I'm just trying to get back into going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. I've been pretty slack. I have been working out hard until O and then slacking off. This cycle i'm in the exercise routine, so would like to keep going as hard as i am, but i wonder if it might have an impact on implantation!

I'll put on my personal trainer hat to answer this one: it is really an individual thing.

I personally train 6 days per week - for about 1-2 hours (i have a 'fun' job as a fitness leader in classes like body attack, body combat, body balance, body pump and RPM - oh, and body jam)....depending on the hours i work at my 'not fun' job etc - and how many classes I get at fitness centres.
    Most reports I've seen point to toning down the exercise - but still keeping active. High impact exercise is great fun - but it can put the body under great stress too. Most recommend light impact exercise eg, 30 - 45 min walk session, light exercise bike riding, pilates or a fitball class, body balance is a good class to take.

I have toned it down to a total between 4 - 6 hours total per week to play it safe. I make sure I have 'rest' days inbetween training sessions too.

Thanks for the response girls. I think the low impact will be the go for me for a while and see what happens. I am also thinking about starting some acupuncture too.

Once again thanks and good luck to you all.