Thread: Exercise & TTC

Default Exercise & TTC

Hi all,

Does anyone know if ecercising can affect TTC? I go to the gym three times a week and do yoga the other two days (I only exercise during the week not weekends), i know that yoga should be fine as it is all stretching and stuff but what about cardio and light weights at the gym? Hope someone can shed some light!

Hi WalkingArt!

I am in the same boat as you.. I go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week and on some days for a couple of hours as I do a cycling class and also a high impact weights class. And the other days I am on the weights and doing some cardio work.

So I would be very interested to know if exercise can affect TTC.

Hey guys,
    My doctor said that going to the gym is fine if that is what you have been doing all along. Taking up some really strict diet and exercise when you haven't done that before can have an impact, but she told me that it is great to be healthy and happy, and the medical profession promotes exercise every day, so I doubt it would affect your fertility.

My SIL overdoes it though, and it can affect how often she gets her AF. If she falls below her BMI rating, she misses her AF. Although I think this is a weight issue rather than an exercise one. Providing you're not overdoing it, I don't think there would be a problem, but maybe check with the doctor if you are noticing that your AF or cycles are a bit different,

Best of luck!

I was doing aerobics and sit-ups until 8w pg, as well as walking and stuff, so I don't think it will affect you too badly.

If you're on a strict diet, your body assumes you're undergoing a period of starvation so can't support a baby, so you won't ovulate or get AF because your body thinks you can't nourish yourself and a child - the more crash diets early on, the lower your fertility in later years.

Yoga can help with TTC - I have some TTC Yoga exercises to make you more fertile in the Yoga book I have.

Thanks for your help. I know it sound silly but i just thought maybe doing sit ups and strenuous exercise might affect the egg sticking. Does that make sense? Man i sound like a little kid, that how basic i am.

As for the yoga positions for TTC book, what the title of the book Ryn?

yoga for pregnancy
    doriel hall and francoise barbira freedman

It's all "modern" so has no capitals on the title or name. It was my SiL's, but she didn't use it - I'd not have bought something with no capital letters in! The conception is stuff like "sit with your legs wide open, not crossed, to encourage fertile thoughts".

I'd like to recommend bellydancing...with the added bonus of keeping DH interested in BDing!! LOL

Seriously, though, I was reading in Zita West's book, she recommends a more moderate exercise regime than usual, but I can't remember the rationale behind it. It's a very interesting book about fertility in general so if you're interested might be worth getting it out at the Library?!
    :-)

Hi Marydean

Bellydancing for fertility? Never thought to try that? Are the moves mean to encourage fertility?

Hello, Bellydancing is great, it can be quite aerobic (try shimmying for 5 minutes) but also very good for strength and flexibility, esp upper legs, hips, tummy, and upper back and arms. Some of the pelvic moves help with pelvic floor, but I have noticed it seems to keep the abdomen etc well massaged, I guess that must be good for one's insides!

The best part of it though is it's fun, you can dress up and be exotic (if you want to) and most of all it helps women to feel good about their bodies and their strength and sensuality as women. That's got to be good for fertility, surely?
    :-)