Thread: Exercising while ttc

Kirsty77 Guest

Default Exercising while ttc

Hey girls

Just after some advice. I am about to start clomid tomorrow so this month is our fist month ttc.But we have a home gym and I am worried about using it incase I get pregnant.It involves weights, straining and stretching etc. Just wondering what the go is with the gym when your ttc.Should I stop? I do really strain when using it.

I have no idea. I still do lots of situps and sinilar exercises and lots of stretching and running. I hope it helps not hinders.

Kirsty, I don't think there is any harm in doing what you're doing while TTC. But maybe after ovulation, it might be a good idea to give the weights a rest and switch to something more gentle.

Pietta Guest

I agree totally- before oing maybe crunch and strain to your hearts delight but then between o and af (hopefully there wont be an AF hey Kirsty!! ) dont exercise too hard on the belly muscles.

Thats just IMO though

rarmalb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pietta
    I agree totally- before oing maybe crunch and strain to your hearts delight but then between o and af (hopefully there wont be an AF hey Kirsty!! ) dont exercise too hard on the belly muscles.

Thats just IMO though
    That's what I was told- Regular gym work is ok (assuming your doctor gives you the ok, and you haven't had any previous health/pregnancy issues)- just don't overheat your body, and don't do anything with the stomach muscles.

Maybe have a chat to your doctor about your personal situation.

R

Regular gym work is fine while you are TTC. When you are pregnant there are lots of benefits to staying fit. AFAIK there are no problems with working on your abs until after you're pregnant. When you are pregnant they recomend that you don't work out past the level at which you can continue to talk IYKWIM so maybe you could stick to that whilst TTC. I didn't back off my gym work until after I was pregnant. (that was with number 1 - I've barely seen the inside of the gym since then ). Once you're pregnant you need to be careful with stretching because of a hormone called relaxin which makes it easier to stretch too far.
    It might even help with TTC because just so long as you keep up your fluid intake excercise can increase your production of CM.

Default excercise while ttc

i am also interested in this topic - i am a fairly keen excerciser and am also trying to lose weight which i put on over the christmas period. what i want to know is if they say at the gym that a class is not suitable for pregnant women (ie RPM) then should I avoid it after o?

and how much is too much? Is 4xwk too much at the gym. When do I have to give up running? (ie can i in trimester one?). What about high impact aerobics?

I don't think there should be a problem if it's exercise you already do anyway and your body is used to it. I (unknowingly) cycled 55km when 4 weeks pregnant with no problems. My body was used to cycling.

sportychick - maybe you should talk to the instructors at your gym about this... however I think that if your body is used to the excercise, then it is fine to continue it throughout your pg... The only thing is to watch your heart rate, I think you are meant to keep it under 140bpm, which means taking it easier in some classes I guess. We have a woman who is over 35wks pg at our gym, and she is still coming to RPM and Body Pump classes! :shock:

*TamaraP* Guest

When I joined up I asked the same thing, they basically said that when you end up pregnant let them know and they would do a schedule for me ???

From what I know, weights isn't a good thing and light fast walking is good. I have also been told don't bike ride??? Or go horseriding. My mum told me this as her DR told her not to ride whilst preggers with me.

When I go to the gym now (in the TWW) I won't do Leg Presses.

I think a stationary bike when pg is ok, but not a normal bike, as your centre of gravity shifts when pg, and you could easily lose your balance and tip the bike over...
    You need to be cautious with weights because of all of the extra relaxin in your body, as it could be easier to strain and pull a ligament or muscle.

However during TTC all of that should be perfectly fine...

I have been wondering the same thing! I do Body attack and rpm and wonder whether this is ok while ttc and if it affects ovulation!

Kirsty77 Guest

Thanks so much everyone!Spoke to my ob/gyno and he suggested that I give the weights a miss and so I'm starting water aerobics next week and am still walking for 45 mins every night.He didn't want me to lose weight to quickly either as I've lost 4-5 kg in the last couple of weeks!Not that I'm complaining!

thanks guys - i have what could be a bit of implantation spotting at the moment so i may know soon one way or the other anyway - AF due Monday, but bought a test that says it works 5 days before, so going to test thursday. wish me luck (and enough patience to wait!!!) [-(

mards Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    I have been wondering the same thing! I do Body attack and rpm and wonder whether this is ok while ttc and if it affects ovulation!
    I do the same classes and Body Pump and was also wondering if I'm doin more harm than good when TTC :-k

Kirsty - sounds like a good exercise programme you have there. I enjoy walking myself and have kept that up since getting pg with no problems. I also do yoga (with some modification for my extremely relaxed pelvis). Baby enjoys the walking too so I hope that continues after the birth. Best of luck with everything.

Sportychick - best of luck with that test. The signs sound pretty promising!

Mards and Sweetpea - I don't believe any vigorous exercise while TTC can cause a problem except if it stops you ovulating and getting periods (as some athletic types have found). So if everything is fine in that department, you should be okay.

Body Pump would be fine when TTC (as is all other excercise)... if you are really concerned, maybe lighten the load a bit during the TWW, JIC you are pg.
    But as I said before, we have a woman in our class doing pump at 35wks pg! (although her body is very used to it, she has been doing it for years)

All the best sportychick!!

I was exercising for about an hour at a time about 4 times a week before conceiving as well as doing weights (mainly through pump classes). After 8 weeks of this we got pregnant and from about 6 weeks gestation I just monitored fluid intake and heart rate.

The recommendations are to remain hydrated, don't overheat and keep HR less than 140bpm. Cycling, running, walking, swimming etc are all fine if you were doing them before, otherwise check before starting. Weights are also fine but the focus should change to less weight and more repetition. Abs are fine until 16weeks and after that they don't suggest lying flat on your back. I continued to do pilates with the half swiss ball. Check with the instructor as to the type of core work you can do to strengthen the abs and back to prevent back pain without doing crunches.

I have a friend who continued to run, do weights etc until the day she gave birth (she went to the gym the day she went into labour!!!).

Check with your gym instructor to get a program specifically designed for your stage of pregnancy. Check with your OB to make sure they are happy with you to continue medically.

Do what you feel comfortable with and trust your body to tell you when to slow down. Ultimately, a fit healthy mother often has a better pregnancy and labour experience.