Thread: Falling pregnant while breastfeeding

Kellee Guest

Default Falling pregnant while breastfeeding

Hey there everyone,

My husband and I are trying (very hard! *wink wink*) to have another baby. I am still breastfeeding my seven month old (yes, I know I am mad to want another one so soon!) and was wondering if there was anyone on here who fell pregnant while still breastfeeding. I have heard conflicting information about the likelihood of falling pregnant while b/f... some say it decreases the risk while others say it doesn't make a difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Kellee, sorry I can`t help you but I just want to wish you good luck TTC, do hope you get that BFP very soon.

Take Care

Deeanne

Custardtart Guest

Default breastfeeding

The general opinion seems to be that breastfeeding will reduce your chances of falling pregnant because of the hormone balance, but it certainly isn't reliable as a form of contraception! One of my girlfriends fell pregnant FOUR times whilst breastfeeding - She obviously has a very large family.

Kerrie

Hi Kellee,

I guess it depends on whether you are ovulating or not?

Have your periods returned to normal?

Do you get any ovulation twinges mid month?

Maybe chart your cycle or use some OPKs to see if you are ovulating. Becasue if you are ovulating, then it should be simply a matter of time before you get pregnant again, regardless of BF?

Best of luck.....

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I was breastfeeding and hadn't had a period when I fell pregnant with bubs #2 - it was actually my first attempt trying as I suspected something was happening. I breastfed my first for two years though so I would have been close to ovulating, my daughter stopped breastfeeds shortly after I fell pregnant probably because I think it made my milk dry up a great deal.

It is absolutely possible to fall pregnant while breastfeeding, but it's so hard to know if you are ovulating or not if you haven't had a period. If you do have your period, then perhaps try some charting or buying OPK's (ovulation prediction kits). After you have bubs, your hormones slowly build up to enough levels to fall pregnant again. Every woman is so different in terms of time it takes for hormone levels to build up again, so it's really hard to guess. Good luck!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kellee - check out this article on the main site: Your Period and Ovulation After Baby.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kelly,
    I fell pg (on purpose) while BF Emily... I was charting as my cycle wasn't quite back to normal, they were pretty long clycles. I continues to BF for a few months after falling pg too.

Best of luck!

Tanya

Kellee Guest

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I haven't particularly noticed any twinges or anything... have had a couple of bleeds, but they have only lasted for a few days. I will buy one of those kits... how do they work? Do they tell you when you are actually ovulating, or do they just tell you that your body actually has the ability to ovulate again? I've never used one.

I suppose we'll just have to keep practicing...

Kellee,

When OPK's come up positive, it means you'll likely ovulate in the next 24-48 hours as it picks up the hormone that triggers ovulation. It's a urine test like a HPT. Can be a bit of trial and error especially at first, so try buying a few packs at least. One of our advertisers sells very cheap HPT's and OPK's - check it out in the Products & Services Directory in the "Recommend a Book or Product" forum.
    Kelly xx

mama mel Guest

Hi Kellee,

I fell pg while exclusively BFing my 5mth old DD every 4hrs still. I'm not exactly sure when I started to ovulate... I did bleed very lightly for a day or two when she was 2mths old but was told at the time it was b/c I went too hard at the gym. I now think it could've been things starting to back to normal though. I did bleed very lighly for a couple of days another 1 or 2 times before I had an 'official' AF and then I fell pg the month after. Maybe your bleeds were like my early ones..?

If you get you're AF while BFing there's nothing to stop you getting pg. I think they say that it decreases your chances b/c the hormones it releases usually delay your cycle from starting again. The OPK would a good guide for you to see if anything's happening yet.

Just one word of warning though.. I did have HUGE troubles with my DD when I fell pg again b/c I lost my breast milk completely straight away. Really surprised me as I'd always had so much I used to leak like a tap in btn feeds right up until I lost it. Anyway, she lost weight rapidly for around 9-10 wks until I could find a formula that my stubborn little angel would drink. It was an extremely hard time for both of us and we're still suffering some of the consequences from it now. I do feel guilty that I wasn't able to BF her for as long as I'd wanted to. As with everything though everyone's different, I know of ppl who've BF throughout the entire pg.

Oh, and don't let anyone tell you you're mad having your kids so close in age, I think it's perfect like this!

All the best in TTC!

I fell pg with #4 whilst BF #3( 12mths when I fell pg) AND I was on the mini pill, I thought I was safe LOL, I still managed to BF #3, have just weaned her in prep for #4 I was lucky, didn't loose my milk,but had to feed more frequently for a few days to up the supply again. I had a gf whom fell pg when #1 was 5 mths, so yeah it can definitly be done !
    Oh and YOU chose how close you have your kids, don't let anyone have a say!!!