Thread: Fertility Issues- Sperm/ Semen Analysis - What is normal

Exclamation Fertility Issues- Sperm/ Semen Analysis - What is normal

Hi Girls,

Thought I would post this information about it, as its made things a whole lot clearer for me after reading through it.

Semen Analysis - What is normal ?
    Volume of ejaculate 2.0 ml or more pH7.2-8.0

Sperm Concentration 20 million per ml spermatozoa or more total

Sperm count 40 million per ml spermatozoa per ejaculate or more

Motility 50% or more with forward progression

Morphology 30% or more with normal formsvitality75% or more live,i.e.,excluding dyewhite blood cellsfewer than 1 million per ml

Thanks for that Summer

Hmmm just wondering what the difference between sperm concentration & sperm count is... I always thought a normal count was 20million, maybe I was confused between that & concentration

Sarah, we were told a normal sperm count was 20 million too. It also says 20 million on our pathology report, but I guess that can differ slightly from place to place depending on the criteria they use (this was the WHO criteria).
    Last edited by Willow; November 7th, 2006 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks Willow, makes me feel a bit better as it is a very low count for us as it is, let alone with the "normal" being 40 LOL!

So what's concentration then?

Yeah, that's got me stumped too. I am not sure what the difference is? Doesn't make much sense to me. I'm sure some of the other AC ladies might know, I'm still very new to all of this.
    Last edited by Willow; November 7th, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Girls- you know i hate that term "normal" And just when i thought i had worked it all out! LOL

Not one to settle, done some more reading online, made sure the sites ive been on are actual .org or .edu to make sure there is of a chance for the info to be correct.