Thread: Follicle growth - how much follicle growth per day?

Exclamation Follicle growth - how much follicle growth per day?

Hey girls,

I was wondering if anyone knows how much a follicle grows per day (is there even an average?? LOL).

I had an u/s this morning (am on clomid) and I have a 14mm follicle on my right ovary. I'm having another u/s done on Monday, but I'm curious as to how long it's going to be before I O!

Thanks!

Hi Angel

Just found this

follicles continue to grow until they release, usually at a rate of about 1-2 mm per day
    Love :hbeat:

Actually i will put the whole thing I found it on a website about IUI

Q: At what size are follicles considered mature?

A: Many doctors monitor follicle development during IUI cycles. Most trigger when the dominant follicle is within a certain size range. While there is always some difference in doctor preference, the norms are unmedicated 20-24mm, clomiphene citrate 20-24mm, FSH-only meds 17 or 18mm minimum, and FSH+LH would be 16 or 17mm minimum. It is possible for slightly smaller follicles, 14-15mm, to contain a viable egg. Also, follicles continue to grow until they release, usually at a rate of about 1-2 mm per day. A woman may ovulate more than one follicle in a cycle, but the releases will occur within 24 hours. When hCG is not used, only follicles close in size are likely to release. The use of hCG induces ovulation in about 95 percent of women, and will get most mature follicles to rupture.

I just found on another website that a follicle is ready for ovulation around 18-25mm in size (I think this may be a normal follicle not a clomid affected one)

I hope this helps somewhat.

That's fantastic info! Thanks, Kathryn

On IVF, they measure your follicles carefully 'cuase they don't want them to get too big and release b4 they get a chance to pick them up. Generally, they are looking to pick up the eggs when the follicles are about 20mm, but as the quote below says, it depends on whether you have been stimulated or not. I think at 14mm you have a few days yet.

Hayseed

Thanks, Hayseed. Sounds like we have a few day to get some good BDing in then LOL

Thanks for that very interesting info. girls. I had been wondering the same thing myself Angel - as I had a 16mm follicle on my ultrasound on Wednesday and told the guy I expected to O in the next few days and he said "that looks about right". I haven't had a positive OPK yet and I really would have expected one so maybe this evening it will be positive. I am not on any drugs. So Angel, looks like we are almost on the same CD.
    Good luck with the BDing - I love it when BD time happens on the weekend. Seems to take the pressure off a little.

Anney, good luck!! Hopefully we will both be getting a BFP soon!

katkley Guest

Hi everyone, I have also found this info very interesting as I am about to start my first round of clomid within the next two weeks, they have put me on Progesterone to make me get AF and then on CD 5 I start taking the Sorophene, then I have to have an ultrasound on CD 13 or 14 so they check my eggs. At least I know now how big they are meant to be. Thanks heaps.

Cheers

Kat. O

Hey Kat,

Good luck with the clomid! I am taking the Serophene brand too. My follicle ended up going from 14mm on CD13 to 17.9mm on CD16, and I O'd on CD21 so who knows how big it was by then! ROFL.

I hope the clomid doesn't cause too many side effects for you and that it helps you get your BFP!

katkley Guest

Thanks Angel, I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Kat. O

Liz Guest

Hi Ladies,
    I found your info of follicle growth really interesting. My little follicles seem to be slow growers. I had an ultrasound a couple of months ago and on day 18 my little follicle was only 12mm. Blood tests showed that I did ovulate, but not until day 26 or so (I ended up having a 39 day cycle).

My gyno. said that clomid would help the little blighters grow and be relesed closer to day 14 of cycle. I'm not quite ready to go on clomid yet, I'd like to know a bit more about it...I'll try to start a new thread or see if one already exists.

Thanks
    Liz.

katkley Guest

Hi Angel, Congratulations on your . I hope the Serophene works just as well for me.
    All the best.

Cheers

Kat :smt023

Thanks, Kat! Shouldn't be too long now before you start taking clomid. All the best. Hopefully you will be over in 1st tri soon too

katkley Guest

Thank Angel I hope so too. ATM I am just waiting for AF to show up should be in the next couple of days. Wish it would hurry up, I am quite excited to see if it works.

Cheers

Kat

You will have to come along to our next Tassie meetup too Kat, whenever we next have one anyway LOL.