Thread: Going off the pill

StartingOut Guest

Default Going off the pill

Hi all
    I have recently gone off the pill after being on it for around 15 years. I'm also in my late 30s. Curious as to anyone else's experience with TTC after long time pill usage. I went off the pill in December, had a AF immediately(as would expect as I stopped the pill), then a normal 28 day cycle, then my next cycle was 44 days. Given my length of time on the pill, I'm not really expecting my body to fall back into normality for sometime yet, but curious to hear of others' experiences TTC when coming off the pill. How long did it take to conceive?

The first time I was on the pill for over 15 years and fell pregnant after only 3 months. This time around I went off the pill on the 20th Sept and had my last AF on the 20th Oct. Bubba number 2 is due 23rd July. So it may only be a short TTC journey for you I hope! Good luck

Hi,

I was on the pill for 11 yrs. I went off the pill when I was 28 yrs old in April 05 and fell pg in July 05 (resulting in a m/c). I then had two cycles of AF around 35 days then fell pg again in Nov 05 (unfortunately resulting in another m/c). We then put ttc off for a few months to get regular AF cycles (mind you that didn't happen, they were still 35 days sometimes more or less, with my longest being 54 days). I then had a knee reconstruction, so ttc was put on hold again. (After the longest AF cycle I concieved this pg the next mth and so far, so good.) After my longest AF cycle I went to my GP to get a referral as I was getting annoyed at how long my AF cycles were and wanted to make sure there we no other problems. I got a referral for an internal u/s and to an Gyno/Obs and whilst waiting to see him I fell pg, so changed my Gyno appt to Obs.I had the internal u/s and the sonographer hinted it could be PCOS. When I went to the Obs for this pg, he had a look at the internal u/s results, but said that it most likely WASN'T PCOS cos' I was getting AF, albeit not a regular cycle.
    Also, during the time ttc I went to see a naturopath to get my cycles regular, which they were starting to, but I stopped seeing her for a while when we put ttc on hold.

Geez, that was long winded, sorry!

I hope all works out for you, good luck

Hi Starting Out,

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with TTC (not there yet) however i was wondering how long it did take you to get your period after stopping the pill? Was it after 2 or 3 days? I have been off the pill now 3 days and haven't had anything yet.... i've also stopped the pill one week before the sugar pills were due so wasn't exactly at the ideal time like people say you should however i am thinking i could be pregnant therefore stopped it just incase. Any thoughts??

Good luck TTC... i wish you all the very best......

StartingOut Guest

My first period came 2 days after I stopped the pill. I didn't actually wait until I'd finished the pill - probably similar to you - about 1 week before the sugar pills - but it came on 2 days after.

The next period was 27 days, then 44 days. Who knows what my next one will be. I kinda think my body might be a bit stuffed up!

I'm not expert, but speaking from experience - sometimes my period would take about 3 days to come on when I was on the pill - so you might be just around the corner. If it's beyond that - maybe test?

I come off the pill after being on it for 7 years. Fell preg within 3 months

Starting Out,
    Thank you... yeah i was expecting it to be around now. If i don't have it by Monday i think i'll be testing....!

All the very best...

Hi StartingOut,

I am 35 (nearly 36) and was on the pill for around 20 years. In that time had a small break I would say of around a few months so was on it for quite a long time. I went off it in October last year. Wasn't a planned thing, I actually ran out and didn't bother getting another prescription. I had the bleeding you normally have when stopping, then had AF around 30 days after that, then fell pregnant. So was only about 3 months or so after finishing the pill. Sadly, I miscarried, but my gyno said that it had nothing to do with how long I had been on the pill. Good luck to you and I hope you get a positive very soon.

xxx

Hi Starting Out,

I agree with Neatisme ... the pill doesn't cause cycle irregularities but it might disguise the cause until such time as you come off it and then you will become aware of the issue. Once you stop taking the pill, it is out of your body within just a few days.

It might be something really simple like one ovary not yet ovulating regularly but given your age, I would be going to a doctor and seeking advice should you be wishing to conceive.

I am 39. I used the pill on and off for many years, stopping it finally when I was 34. I had endometriosis which was hidden to a large extent by the pill usage. I did not conceive naturally and ended up using assisted conception when I was 37. Many people don't need AC but I think you at least need to have your cycle going regularly for the best chance.

Good luck with everything.