Thread: Green Tea and conception/early pregnancy

Default Green Tea and conception/early pregnancy

Ok, so I've read articles saying "yes, green tea is great to boost fertility because of the antioxidants" and then articles that say "no, don't drink green tea when TTC or early pregnancy because it inhibits folic acid absorption and increases risk of neural tube defects". So I go to the health food shop that has a naturopath and acupuncturist, and they say they don't know ... hmmmm.

So confused!

So does anyone know one way or the other?

I'm sorry i cant help you but i will be keeping a close eye on this thread as i love green tea and i would stop drinking it if it is found to be risky.........

Hi girls
    I have never heard of anything bad to do with Green Tea, it is pretty much all natural isn't it? Anyway i guess it is like anything, too much of anything isn't good for you. Maybe one or two cups a day would be fine!

Hi there,

I'm not sure about the folic acid stuff or the antioxidant stuff but I have kept clear of green tea cos it contains caffeine. I know caffeine decreases your fertility and from what I've read there's no recommended safe level of caffeine intake during pg. The only hot drink I've had during TTC and pg has been rooibos tea which is naturally caffeine free.

If its the antioxidants that you're after then I'd go for other sources like cherry tomatoes and other red foods.

HTH

Default how about rooibos tea instead?

green tea does have caffeine in it. not sure on the percentage compared to black tea or coffee though.

i gave up caffeine a few years ago and as an avid tea drinker (i am into the whole tea ceremony thing in a teapot etc) i converted to Rooibos tea or red bush tea. it can be drunk without mike (as a herbal tea) or with milk (i love mine with milk as it reminds me of milky black tea).

it contains no caffeine or tanins but tastes very similar to tea (may take a little getting used to). millions of southern africans drink rooibos daily as it their tea. if you have read the Ladies Detective Agency books it features as bush tea that everyone is always drinking.

something i picked up from a website on pregnancy and rooibos tea below (disclaimer, i can't personally substantiate what it says, but i haven't looked back since my first cup and i don't miss tea or coffee 3.5 years later.)

* It has a very soothing effect on the central nervous system and can be strongly recommended for people suffering from irritability, stress, headaches, nervous tension and mild depression or hypertension.
    * Helps with insomnia, disturbed sleep patterns and headaches. Have a cup of Rooibos before you get ready for bed to ensure a good night's sleep.
    * Studies have shown Rooibos is beneficial in the management of allergies like hay fever and asthma.
    * Relieves stomach and digestive problems like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, stomach ulcers and constipation.
    * Helps to control your appetite thus can be beneficial in weight loss. Also helps in controlling your blood sugar level.
    * Since Rooibos contains no oxalic acid it can be safely used by people suffering from kidney stones.
    * Scientists have found that Rooibos tea contains a mimic of the enzyme Super Oxide Dimutase(S.O.D.), an anti-oxidant which attacks free radicals and limits their damaging effects. ("Free radicals," is the toxic by-product of natural biological processes that can damage healthy cells, weaken our immune system, lead to cancer. The harmful oxygen also contributes to aging, making us look older than we really are!and it contributes to aging.)
    * Mothers find Rooibos tea to be of benefit in common infant ailments like colic, stomach cramps, fussy babies. When given in addition to babies normal feeding , Rooibos supplements the daily intake of calcium , manganese and fluoride needed by growing children for strong teeth and bones. Rooibos is effective for relieving skin irritaions such as diaper rash and eczema. Brew a cup then let cool down and apply to irritated area. Mothers can also benefit from drinking Rooibos tea. During pregnancy and breast feeding, the body’s iron levels become depleted.

And don't just drink it wear it:

The alpha hydroxy acid and zinc contained in Rooibos promotes healthy, smooth skin. This wonder tea is especially useful when applied to skin irritations like itchy skin, eczema, sunburns, diaper rash, acne and rosacea.
    i HTH

Worth a try! At the moment I am drinking tea instead of coffee to try and bring down my caffeine intake, I know it still has caffeine in it, but not so much so i figured it was a start. I have been a coffee addict since I was 16, so its hard to kick the habit! I didn't know there was tea without caffeine, where can I get some Rooibos tea?

Rooibos tea is available in supermarkets - I buy it in Coles - called Red Bush in English (rooibos is from south africa) so look out for both names.

GIDGET

and i get tea bages at woolies called Vital Organic which is ecocertified in Sth Africa. or if you are a loose leaf tea person at any good tea shop (there is one in brissy in the Myer Centre if you are ever down that way). i reckon on the sunny coast hinterlands there are a few organic food shops and i know there is one near the turn off to Buderim - near Forest Glen i think.

it can seem a little different at first but it didn't take me long to absolutely love the stuff.

good luck today hun xx

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I was told by my naturopath in no uncertain terms that more than a cup of green tea a day is out when TTC. And yes it's because it inhibits the absorption of folic acid. As with everything, if you have it in moderation you should be fine, but having it more than you normally would is not advised. I didn't even drink the iced tea version when TTC. I know the info available is contradictatory, but while it may boost fertility, it blocks folic acid, so I reckon the benefit may cancel itself out.

From what I've read you should only drink it in the first half of your cycle and take extra folic acid just in case. Chinese people drink loads of green tea and as far as I know they don't have a higher incidence of birth defects, but maybe they do.

Sushee, I tend to agree, the evidence that it is harmful outweighs the evidence that its not. Thats ok, Shel likes it too so she can drink it and I'll search and see if the other one is bad.

If not then its milkshakes for me (no complaints there... except when i get on the scale lol)!