Thread: Hormone Levels and bad skin

Default Hormone Levels and bad skin

I have never had great skin but for about the last 4 months I have had breakouts all along my jawline which is not clearing up no matter what I do. I have also heard that along the jawline is related to your hormones so I'm thinking that must explain it.

I'm going to see my GP about getting my hormone levels checked but I'm not really sure what is involved. Does anyone know what the process is and if mine are out of whack, would I have to go on tablets or something to get it right? I really have no clue and with the stress of TTC for a long time now, everything is starting to take its toll!

Thanks for any advice.

It would probably involve a series of blood tests, that's usually how they check your hormone levels. Don't be surprised if your GP isn't too interested in testing them though, as some GPs don't believe in testing them unless you've got a range of symptoms going on that would suggest an issue. The treatment would vary depending on what they find.

As for your skin have you tried witch hazel? I found it did wonders for my face when I had skin troubles.

Hi Satya,

I think I might have tried witch hazel toner years ago. I use Dermalogica (my skin is usually a lot clearer) and the medicated clearing gel etc is just not doing anything lately.

Hello gurnz, im a beauty therapist, that works with the product dermalogica. The jawline area does represent the hormones as either side of the chin represents the ovaries. The doctor may suggest to you to go on the contraceptive pill like Dianne for eg. that is meant to regulate your hormones so it'll clear your skin. Or the doc may prescribe you a cream. Be careful not to overuse topical treatments as some of them contain benzol peroxide that can cause sensitivity and even burn your skin!
    So your breakouts are mainly due to internal influences, there's alot you can do externally-

1. Dont touch your face during the day. Only when you are cleansing should you touch your face. As your fingertips are always dirty and touching your spots will spread them and make them worse!
    So if you have an itch always use your knuckles.

2. Cleanse morning and night, and avoid putting moisturising cream over the top. You could try an aloe vera gel for the hydrating properties, it will also calm your spots down too. My fav is- A'Kin-Pure Emergency gel you can buy from DJ's, chemists or healthfood shop.

3. If you pop a spot, apply a little medicated clearing gel or a drop of tea tree oil with a cotton bud. Try not to squeese, as this will cause scarring, spread them and make them look worse.

4. Apply medicated clearing gel, thin layer over spots only(not entire face!!) every night for 21 days. Stop. Give your skin a break from it, than if they are still bad, apply every night again for upto 21 days.

Hope my advice helps a little!

I just read over my advice, i haveto add where i said benzol peroxide will damage your skin, its only when you overuse it. It can actually be very good when applied correctly;ie only on breakout (not on the healthy surrounding skin) it works by drying out the spot. You can buy it at chemists but get the lowset grade which is 2.5% i think.