Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do sperm survive??

Thanks Ryn, well written! I was going to copy and paste an article one of our clinicians wrote - not as easily understood as yours.
    Don't you think nature is just amazing???
    Have a good day...

Thanks Ryn! We know so much about our eggies and bodies and how it all works, it's nice to know how the spermies work! BTW HOW do you know all of that? Did you copy it out? Surely it's not all in your head...............? LOL!!!

Wow, thanks Ryn. Very interesting. What happens if two spermies get into the egg? I know it's rare, but I'm curious.

MissScarlett Guest

Fascinating Ryn!
    We conceived our daughter 5 days before O so I guess I had 'optimal conditions'!! LOL!

I confess, I did have to look up how to spell "seminiferous tubules". But my degree is in medical genetics, so we did a lot of genetics, cells, and gamete formation stuff. I also looked at going into genetic counselling and found all this sort of stuff interesting, so did lots of reading.

With two spermies in the eggie, there's three lots of nuclear information, not two... this usually means that the egg won't divide, or will die out early on from "too much information" - also, as the paternal genes make the placenta and the female genes make the baby, all the fighting over "what to build" means there's more resources taken for the placenta than the baby, so the poor baby often fails to grow, if the egg ever manages to divide and implant.

Sometimes the egg can just throw out the extra information, and you wouldn't know anything had happened. But that's just as rare as 2 sperm getting into the egg.

Oh, and thinking on it, I think 50-60% swimming back out is normal, not 60%. I know more than 70% is a bad sign.

Thanks again Ryn, that's way more information than I ever received in HS biology LOL

Genetic counselling would have been a really interesting career. I had to go to GC and have some tests done, and the info they provided was really interesting, even though it could have been bad news (it wasn't BTW). I was always fascinated by that stuff back in HS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12