Thread: How long is a 'normal' luteal phase?

Default How long is a 'normal' luteal phase?

Is there such a thing as a 'normal' luteal phase, or one that is too long? Mine is now 19 days and doesn't look like ending any time soon.

*TamaraP* Guest

The length of the luteal phase determines the time of ovulation within your menstrual cycle. Ovulation can be delayed by a number of factors, such as stress, increased activity or medication, but the length of the luteal phase is usually constant. Taking this into account, you can calculate the time of ovulation within your cycle by subtracting the length of your luteal phase from the length of your cycle. For example, if your cycle is 28 days long and your luteal phase is 12 days long, the ovulation will occur on day 16 of your cycle (28-12=16). Ovulation Calendar uses this formula to calculate your time of ovulation.
    There you go...HTH - have you tested yet?

Hi Naru, I think Tamara's quote says it all. All bodies are different and hence all cycles are different.

How long is your lutal phase normally? And as Tamara said - Have you tested yet? Also do you know exactly when you ovulated?

I'd say that maybe if it's longer than normal to get a BT done to find out. You could be very early PG and can't be picked up on a HPT yet.

Good luck anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Mac
    Hi Naru, I think Tamara's quote says it all. All bodies are different and hence all cycles are different.

How long is your lutal phase normally? And as Tamara said - Have you tested yet? Also do you know exactly when you ovulated?

I'd say that maybe if it's longer than normal to get a BT done to find out. You could be very early PG and can't be picked up on a HPT yet.

Good luck anyways.
    Thanks for the answers. I only started temping this month, and according to Fertility Friend I'm 19 DPO. I'd say this is well over my last two LPs as the last two cycles were only 25 days in length. I've already done three tests (one before AF was due and two since) and all were negative.

I think I'll go to the doctor some time this week if AF doesn't arrive in the meantime.

Naru, found some other threads that dealt with this - I went looking because I remembered posting a similar question myself

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21693

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21455

From what I've managed to figure out - 10-19 days is considered normal.

BW

Emma,
    Just visited your webpage and your baby is absolutely gorgeous.
    Congratulations and wishing you a H & H pregnancy.
    Look after yourself and your babe.
    How long did it take for you to conceive?

Congratulations again,
    Dan