Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you took pre-pregnancy vitamins?

Thats true about absorbing them. all these books i am reading are talking about digestion being really important for pregnancy.

I saw a naturopath when I had been TTC for 6 months. She suggested I get specific tests from the GP and it turns out I had deficient iron stores and vitamin D - these things can impact on fertility. She put me on a load of exxy suppliments and told me maximum effect won't happen until I'd been taking them for 3 months. It was also my naturopath who quickly identified that I probably had a thyroid problem which can also impact on fertility. My FS tested me and sure enough I had one.

It turned out that I needed IVF and I fell on my first cycle. I believe the naturopathic supplements combined with acupuncture led to the BFP on my first cycle. I truly believe that my naturopath shortened what could have been a much longer process. There is a lot of research showing the value of preconception care. Whilst it is exxy, if you find that you are TTC for longer than you hope it would be worth investing in some type of supplements. Hopefully it will be quick and easy for you and you won't need to do too much research

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

Folate is essential for me, as my grandmother lost a baby boy due to neural tube problems, so I take the 5mg dose, DH did as well while we were TTC, as his levels needed to be higher too. I don't believe I get enough vitamins and minerals from food, as farming practices have changed a lot so sometimes the food doesn't have the same amount of time to soak up minerals when farmers use quick grow fertiliser and things like that (this is just from reading a couple of books on the subject, not any extensive research, but it made sense to me so I'm sticking to it! Lol!). DH and I used natures own preconception packs, and MACA and folate. When I got UTD I brought a bulk pack of pharmacy brand pregnancy tablets for $15 (pack of 300), they contain iodine and fish oil and the non-scary vitamin A plus a bunch of other stuff. The book "what to expect" has a good rundown of what a decent pregnancy and conception tablet should have. I was SO relieved to be taking them when MS kicked in, cos there was 6 weeks when I lived on peanut butter sandwiches on white bread!

I am a naturopath and no matter how much study and books i have read and keep reading. its all becoming so much more *realler* hearing everyones experiences and now my own. I think testing supplements is important but also.. a healthy diet. am loving learning from all of your first hand experiences. cant wait TTC in December! *happy dance*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12