Thread: HSG - hysterosalpingogram experiences

Default HSG - hysterosalpingogram experiences

Has anyone had any experience with the HSG test.

Is the test done at the doctors office or at a clinic. How much does it cost, is it pain and whats the recovery time.

Thanks.

Hi G-B-D ,

I had one done a few years back & it was done at a xray clinic. Because they inject a special dye into your uterus & then they look on the xray machine to see if there any blockages. Not really painful , similar to a pap test. A little messy because of the dye. Maybe take a sanitary napkin just in case. Well that's what happened to me ? Maybe someone else may have had a different experience ?
    It was all good , hassle free & virtually pain free ( I had no blockages)

GOOD LUCK & Merry Christmas
    Mama

ps. Can't remember cost & recovery time was 0 for me.

Thanks for your respones.

My wife is a bit concerned about the pain that could be experienced. She read on some websites that if the the tubes are blocked in some way, there is pain experienced during test.

She had a dermoid cyst removed when she was 26 and therefore there could be a higher chance of having a blockage.

Some people believe that after this test if there was a light blockage, this could be cleared after the test and chance on conceiving will be improved in some way.

Not sure what to believe at this point...

Hmmmmm... that put's it in a new light for me ? Sorry I couldn't help more on that issue. Hopefully someone else may pick up your post & be able to help out ???
    Do you have to do the test before your FS appoint ? If not the FS should be able to give an opinion, if you do have to go before maybe possibly the actual place of testing may be able to answer some q's for you ???
    There are so many issues with different opinions & so on,make's my head spin sometime's.
    Anyway's.... try & enjoy the ride , lot's of decision's & emotion's & lot's of tests but when you achieve a bubba it will be all worth it... just try & keep smiling !!!!
    ps. We are looking to go back to IVF in the new year after a 5 year gap. Thought I had settled on a new FS but have just been given a another name in Hurstville ,SYD. What to do??? I think I'll just get over xmas first. Too much excitement at once hahahahaha.

Mine was done when I was put under for a D&C and some other investigations. It gave me no troubles at all, but my stitches did.

Hi GBD...

I had a HSG done in June... it's done at an x-ray place (but not all places do it, and you have to book in because it is done by a special radiographer) the cost is about $100-150 (can't remember exactly) and you get most back from medicare.

My experience was not realy a pleasant one. Of course, thats because I have a funny cervix which tilts the wrong way, making it hard to get the tube through. But hopefully it should only take about half an hour at the most. They recommend you take some panadol about an hour before the test, as most people cramp when they inject the dye (I know I did). Mine weren't blocked luckily, so I don't know if it would hurt more if they are blocked. Just remember, don't believe everything you read on the net!

Definately take a pad... well I had some leakage anyway (which is normal). I had a few cramps afterwards, but nothing more than what felt like mild period pain. That lasted maybe half an hour.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and the tips with the panodol and pads.

It is reassuring to read how it went for others and puts things into perspective on what to expect.

The comment about seeing the FS, we have an appointment soon but just doing our own research we suspect there might have a slight chance of a blockage. Blood test looks normal, SA within limits, BBT charting and timing for ovulation is spot on for a few months now but we are still not conceiving.

Fair to say there could be other factors involved which only our FS could advise us on. And our FS could also advise to take the HSG/dye test as part of the diagonsis process.

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that I have been referred for a HSG at our local hospital X Ray department. I have been told by the nurse at my FS office to take 2 anti inflammatories and 2 panadol or similar about an hour before the procedure.
    I will be checking with the pharmacist as to which are the best to take together for no side effects.
    I have also read that there is an increased chance of pregnancy in the months after the HSG and that is keeping my mind off the thoughts of pain.
    It's good to see a dad to be on one of these boards and I wish you and your wife all the best.

Good luck,

Sheree
    (Me 28 DH 24 DD 14Months TTC#2 12months)

Just thought I would add to this as I had the HyCoSy done yesterday, and from reading here it seems like my experiences might be relevant.

The hycosy is done with internal ultrasound rather than x-ray . I have to say it wasnt the most pleasant thing I have done, and it was uncomfortable with period type cramps. However it is over fairly quickly and you know there and then if there are any problems (luckily I was clear). The cramps lasted for about 15 minutes afterwards. I too was advised to take pain rerleif beforehand.

It cost $450 (ish) at Sydney ultrasound for women, so appears to be more expensive than HSG. It has to be completed by a doctor and before ovulation.

Hope this is useful

Default HSG Experience

My HSG was horrible. The speculum was huge and it hurt when they inserted it and open up my cervix. I had no pain medication. When they inserted the catheter it wasn't too bad but a bit painfull but when they injected the dye OMG that was SOOO PAINFULL I could feel it going through my tubes and uterus and boy did that hurt, I even started yelling OWW OWW OWW in pain. Thankfully it only lasted 3-5 mins. My tubes are in good condition not blocked and everything OKAY thank GOD.

I have read that it only hurts alot when tubes are blocked, NOT TRUE cause mines are fine, not sure if the dye was cleaning or clearing the tubes which caaused the pain.

BUT Good Luck to those doing an HSG.

Everyone is different urs might be pleasant ask about pain meds they might help.

Default HSG - hysterosalpingogram experiences

Hi Ladies

My Gyno has requested i get a HSG test however she hasn't specified or advised which is a preferred xray location to have the test at.

I live in Western Sydney and was hoping someone could advise where they attended in Sydney and how much the HSG test costs?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
    Dani

Hi MrsDani,

I am booked for my HSG test tomorrow, I was actually given a referral from my gyno which told me exactly where to go. I think you will need the referral too to be able to claim some back on medicare. Perhaps give you gyno a call and ask for that referral.

I am in QLD though, not sure if it is different in NSW.

Hi Nelly

I was given a referral from my Gyno on Friday however it doesn't specify where to go/ attend. My Gyno said that i need to source the clinic to conduct the HSG procedure.

I was suprised she didnt recommend anywhere hence why im trying to locate places in Sydney.

Thanks for your assistance

Dani

Hi MrsDani,

I also live in western sydney and I had mine done at penrith ultrasound for women but my gyno specifically refered me to there, it cost about $270 I think from memory.. on the referral your gyno gave you it doesn't list anywhere??
    If not I can highly recomend where i went the doctor who did teh procedure was great and really reassuring, it is uncomfortable though..