Thread: hystersalpingogram

Default hystersalpingogram

i have just got back from my gynae for fertility and possible endo problems, and my fiance has to have a sperm analysis and i have to have a hystersalpingogram(however you spell it).
    I am really freaking out a bit and i still have another 4 weeks till i have to have it done, they've told me to have some panadol a hour beforehand and it's very invasive.
    Has anyone had this procedure done before, was it painful, did it help?
    any advice would be great. thanks

I have had one, and well I was on the extreme side of side effects from it pain etc

most people find it uncomfortable, they will insert a speculum (like when you have a pap) then a tube is inserted and die is released you are then xrayed as such to see where dye is going

in my case I dont even think morphine would have dulled the pain, not wanting to scare you so am not going into details unless you want me too :hugs:

the pressure from tube and the dye is what cause pain, is supposed to be similiar to very painful period cramps definatly take panadol beforehand and have some ready for after IYKWIM!! also get someone to take you I had to go 2 hrs away and went alone so had to drive afterwards not a good plan

Hi beau

I had a HSG last June, and I too got a bit of the extreme. I won't go into it, my situation was definately out of the ordinary, and I spent most of it in tears from the pain and also bruised.

Hmmmm, I hope someone who had a normal experience comes on here...!

Its a bit invasive as theres a lot of poking and proding down in there, a big light and you have too lay like that for a while. The tube going through the cervix is uspposed to cause a bit of cramping, and so does the dye being injected into the uterus. It's a bit uncomfortable with the speculum, and I really didn't like the pressure of it. It shouldn't take too long.

Definately get someone to at least be there to drive you back!

Yep...I have had one too.

Thankfully, it wasn't as painful as the above girls have experienced (you poor things!)

It was very very uncomfortable though...mainly because my cervix decided to go into hiding so they had to do a lot of prodding.

Take some panadol before and don't have too much planned for after...

The good news for me was that I got pregnant the cycle after my HSG...first time in 3 years, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it (clearing out the cobwebs and all!!!)

Wishing you all the very best...

thank-you for you replys,
    i have looked it up a little more and have found a heap of people who said it barely hurt and some who thought it was uncomfortable, and a lot also got pregnant afterwards.
    i think it depends on the individual, and i am worried because i am in a bit of pain a lot during the month anyway, but i'm a bit more prepared for what i'm in for now,
    so thanks again.