Thread: I need help!

Question I need help!

I went off OCP early in May. My AF was due last week, but i wasn't really expecting it as everyone I had spoken to said AF was often late when coming off OCP. I kept telling myself not to expect anything this month, but for the last week or so i have been feeling nauseous and really tired in the afternoons and nights. I am also constipated, have really sore BBs and achy legs and lower back (not sure if thats related). Is this all just in my mind? Someone said something about withdrawal symptoms when coming off the pill. Is that true?

I've done about 5 HPT in a week, all -ve. I don't know what to do. Should i just wait for AF? Or go to the dr for a blood test? I know if i book myself in to the dr AF will prob come that day. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks
    Bron

Hi Bron
    When I came off the pill on 06 Sept 2005 it was 25 Dec 2005 before I had my first 'real' period. It can take up to three cycles to correct itself so as you are quite early on in your first cycle I would not worry too much.

However there is nothing wrong with speaking to your GP if you are concerned - stress can affect your hormones and delay your period further so can create a viscious cycle. I must admit I did not have any withdrawal symptoms as you are describing - but we are all VERY different.

What i am trying to say is that this sounds normal and don't worry.
    HTH.

Hi Bron,

Thos symptoms you described are totally plausible for withdrawal. I suffered a few when I came off the OCP. But everyone is different. It can take a little while for the body to get back into a natural cycle after the ocp but if you are concerned, have a chat with your doc. Esp if you think you might be pg.

Good luck!

MG

Marcia Guest

Hi Bron,
    I'm in the same boat as you at the moment. On day 75 of my first cycle off the pill and nothing so far. In this time I've also had some classic preg symptoms, but done a crazy amount of HPT over the last few weeks and all BFN. So I guess this is all just normal. I asked a similar question to this a few days ago and as others said, if it's worrying you then no harm making an appt to see your dr. Personally I have decided to wait it out a little bit longer and see what happens. Unfortunately none of this makes you feel any better when your desperate to start TTC and nothing is happening hey?!

I had those symptoms for the first few months after coming off the OCP - we weren't trying for a baby, but I had every pg symptom under the sun. My first cycle was 32 days, then they settled themselves out at 6-weeks-ish for the next 4 cycles.

Oddly enough, I didn't have any strong symptoms this cycle and was over 8 weeks into it when I found out that I'm pg, so after all those months of dreaming them up... well, I'm just going to say I'm very pleased that I don't feel as bad as I did in my first TWWs.

Thanks for all of the advice. I know its only early so i think i'll wait a bit more before going to the drs. Its the whole preg symptoms thing, its doing my head in. Its good to know that other people are in the same boat as me. Hopefully AF arrives soon!

Bron I went off OCP in early May too and I'm all over the place! We're not TTC until August, so I haven't started charting or anything yet since we're not in a hurry, but my body is doing weird and wonderful things (well maybe not wonderful!). I was 'due' for AF this week, on the old 28 days cycle, but I didn't really expect it. From what I can tell I didn't ovulate this cycle and then I had some bleeding late last week on what should have been CDs 23-26, but I wouldn't call it a period. I think my body is just rying to figure out what I'm doing to it! I've also had terrible cramps and a few other AF symptoms. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not surprised by what's going on, it seems that we all have different reactions when coming off OCP

Hi DisGirl,

I guess you could say we aren't really TTC yet. The original plan was for me to go off OCP in oct this yr. But after talking about it we decided there was no point in waiting and i should go off to get my body back into normal cycles. I wasn't really expecting to fall pg straight away, but in the back of my mind i had the story of how my mum came off the pill planning to get pg by the end of the yr and fell pg straight away and was 5 mth pg by the time they were planning to start TTC. Last week i was stressing over it. This week i've realised there is no hurry. I guess when you feel crap and no AF visiting, you just want to hope that its all for a reason, not for something stupid like you've just stopped taking OCP.

I've started temping this week. just because i was interested in seeing how my temps were in relation to my cycle. I'd be interested in seeing what happens when AF does finally show up!

Its good to know I'm not alone in this!

Oh Bron, I know what you mean! Last week when I was spotting/very light AF, I felt TERRIBLE. I had THE worst cramps ever. Until I dosed up on Naprogesic I couldn't even stand up straight I was kinda hoping AF would arrive for good because all that pain for nothing just didn't seem right LOL!

I only have an old fashioned thermometer, but I think I'm going to stop by the chemist on the way home tonight to get a digital one, so that I can just get some idea of what's happening.

We're definately not TTC at the moment, we're still using other BC. We're going OS for a holiday in Sept so I don't want to be more than a few weeks pg by then. It's still very exciting though

Marcia Guest

Hi, just wanted to update.
    Well, finally got my first AF after coming off the pill on day 80 of my cycle. So that's how long it took for me. I was relieved to say the least as it does start to get a bit worrying after a while. It also confirmed for me that what I thought might have been EWCM was in fact EWCM. only had a small amount about 13 days prior to AF, but At least I know now I can tell when I'm ovulating! YAY! Now I just have to wait out the next cycle and hope it's not as long LOL!

Just wanted to say 'great idea' to disgirl and Bron about coming off the pill early before TTC. Although I knew it was a good idea to do this I didn't bother to stop the pill until we actually wanted to concieve. I did this because last time I came off the pill my cycles were normal straight away and I fell pregnant in my 2nd cycle. I just assumed it would be that easy second time around. I now regret not stopping the pill a couple of months earlier, as it has set us back about 3 months as far as TTC goes. Silly me!

Congrats Marcia on finally getting AF. 80 days is a long wait! Good luck for your next cycle. I hope its no where near as long or that you get a HPT. I'm on CD 41. So hopefully AF will arrive soon for me

That's good news Maria! I've actually sat down and worked out that I'm only on CD34 but since I'm pretty sure I haven't ovulated, I'm not expecting AF for some time yet.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I'm glad now that I went off OCP when I did