Thread: I think I need a Dummies guide!!

Default I think I need a Dummies guide!!

Hi all,

I am new and have no idea where to start with charting and temps, OPK's etc.

At the moment I have just received a 2nd negative BT - but this is the first month I've started charting - and the only real regular thing about my AF's is that they are all irregular. So it's hard for me to say that I'm late for AF or not at this point - hence I would have low hCG levels???

Have I just answered my own question? Is an OPK the way to go or would a trip to the Doc be more helpful?

**Babydust and smiles to you all**

Hi Leesa

hCG is low when you're in early pregnancy; when you're not pregnant you don't have any hCG.

A hormone profile will let your doctor know where abouts in your cycle you are - hormones fluctuate all through the cycle with Oestrogen doing a big surge when you ovulate (this is the hormone that makes your breasts sore) and progesterone in your TWW (the 2-week-wait, the wait between Oing and AF arriving, usually around 14 days; also known as the luteal phase).

OPKs are meant to be a good indicator of if you're ovulating (I've not tried them): if you aren't getting any joy with temping or OPKs, or are worried about irregular cycles, it would be worth seeing your GP for a hormone profile just to see if that helps.

Good luck with it!

Thank you Ryn Frog.

I think I'm in my GP's too hard basket - he said he'd send me to a Gyn..

Which is fine by me as I live in a rural area and don't have many Dr's that are expert in this field.

I wish I had half of your knowledge!!!

Thank you!!

Leesa, you'll pick up loads more knowledge in no time from this site! I have a degree in Medical Genetics so it's good that gets a work-out from time to time, but I've learnt a lot more from the girls here about TTC and pregnancy than I ever did at Uni!

Hi Leesa,
    Welcome to belly belly. The ttc journey can be a bit confusing sometimes and I agree with what Ryn said. Just a few extra things. Have you recently come of ocp? If so it can take a bit of time for your body to get back into its natural rythum. Vitex and Vit B are believed to help with regulating your cycle (I have had good personal results with both of these).
    OPK's can get a bit expensive if you have a very irregular cycle. OPK's detect the LH surge that occurs just before you ovulate. I think a first stop would be to get your hormone levels checked as Ryn said. Charting is fantastic and until your cycle settles is possibly a better option than opk's, just for the cost factor really. There are some great internet suppliers of opk's and they are heaps cheaper than retail outlets and just if not more accurate.
    Good luck with your journey and as Ryn said you will find lots of info and support from other women on the same journey in here.
    Hugs to you