Thread: IBS meds safe???

Default IBS meds safe???

I am ttc#2 i suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and take "inner health plus" capsules and aloe vera juice. i have asked the GP if they are safe to take while pregnant and he says that he recommends i don't take them cause he doesn't know anything about them. however i can't think of a reason not to. the capsules only contain 'good bacteria' for the gut, the same live bacteria that are found in natural yoghurt. and the aloe vera juice i only have occasionally and when i do its only a mouthful, i can;t think how this could be harmful either. if anyone knows anythiong i'd love to hear it.

Elissa23 Jay30
    Archie8mths
    ttc#2

I am also a horrific IBS sufferer!

DO NOT take aloe vera of any kind, I dont remember why, but its really bad. I had to come off my IBS meds once I fell pregnant

Inner health plus is FINE, its very good for bubs too! A similar thing to aloe vera is called "slippery elm" and is available in capsule form from health food stores. These can help bind your tummy.

I have found though, since being pregnant, I have had less flare ups than normal. its almost as if my baby is helping my body to break down food?

If ever you have any more questions, please ask me

thanks Dani! its nie to not feel like i'm the only one who suffers. when I was pregnant with Archie after the first 12 weeks i had no flare ups at all, it was the best i'd felt for years! whats the go with aloe vera, i've only heard good things about it, it has certainly done wonders for me??????? i'll have to investigate that one....

what are the main triggers for your flare ups? My biggest is stress, and fatty foods, soft drink. onion, alcohol (bummer) but stress is the killer.

its great that it has settled down during your pregnancy, mine came back when i stopped breastfeeding at 5 weeks,. goodluck i hope it stays away for you for a long time

thanks so much for your reply you have really helped me out.

Elissa23 Jay30
    Archie8mths
    ttc#2

i suffer IBS terribly as well - have tried to not take anything through the TTC journey due to not being sure of interactions with metformin/clomid and whatever other meds they swap and change me to! - have FS appointment in a couple of weeks - might have to ask about Inner Health Plus - i have had really bad flare ups lately - some i'm sure is related to TTC, but so much to do with work! Anything to help would be a godsend!

Oops! Danni, I completely forgot about the aloe vera thing!

I was doing so well for a while, but had a nasty flare up not long ago, and automatically reached for the aloe vera capsules again! Everything settled again, until I had the metformin dose increase (oops again! - forgot my lunch time dose!) and things are a little bit off again now.

Note to self: no more aloe vera capsules once IVF cycles start!

BW

definitely get the slippery elm girls!!

Brigsy - inner health plus have completely changed my life, i would definately recommend them, especially going through the constant stress of ttc.

butterfly - do you know what is so bad about aloe vera???

danni - will definately check out slippery elm, thanks!

A quick google reveals:

Taking aloe may stimulate uterine contractions, it should be avoided during pregnancy. And taken by breastfeeding mothers, aloe can have a laxative effect on the baby.
    BW

thankyou very much! thats the end of aloe for me!! must get some slippery elm!

When I have ever had any doubts about supplements and medicines while TTCing and Pregnancy I always contact the manufacturer for advice, they are the best ones to get accurate information from.

thanks bucca that makes sense

might have to make a quick visit to the chemist on my lunch break tomorrow