Thread: Laparoscopy and D&C

Default Laparoscopy and D&C

I saw my Ob/gyno today and he suggested I go in for a D&C and a laparosCopy and dye insertion.

He said that sometimes mucous collects in the tubes, blocking them. The procedure is meant to have a high success rate. Why the D&C though.....?

Has anyone had a Laparoscopy? Did you have a D&C at the same time? If so, can you please share your story, thoughts and whether it was successful? I didn't really ask many questions because I trust him but now I wish I would have LOL. So any advice, knowledge etc is very welcome.

Oh and for those wondering, DH and I are TTC#2 and have been for 13mths so it's for this reason I went and saw him.

TIA

I don't have any advice but i just wanted to wish you good luck!

Nadine, I think the D&C is to check for any signs of infection? I had the same thing last year, the lap, with dye and curette, and for the same reasons as you...problems with TTC #2.

Goodluck with it all, hope all goes well and it helps out. Have you got a date booked in yet?

Nic

Hi Nadine, I had a lap, hysteroscopy and a D&C back in 99. I had to lap done for endo and the D&C because the lining of my uterus was a bit thicker than normal, so it was done to give it a good clean out I suppose - maybe this is why you are having one too? I think it depends on the situation if they would do it or not - you say that they think you have a mucous blockage, so the D&C may be to make sure they clean everything out? Both procedures are really straight forward and done quite a lot, so your Dr would be experienced in doing them. You will be sore for a while afterwards - it took me a good few weeks to feel normal again and others are fine in a few days, it really depends on the person.

Thankyou so much ladies. I feel a whole lot better about it now I do trust my ob/gyno so I am not worried there.

I am booked in for the 10th of July. I am hoping the recovery is quick and that this procedure does the trick.

Thanks again

Just wanted to say goodluck Nadine

Thankyou Zee

Hey princess. Just stopping by to give you a great big squishy hug. And a sloopy kiss to go with it. All will go good huni

Hi Nadine,

I had a lap, dye, D&C and a hysteroscopy (sp? I think that's what it was!).

The Dr said something about the D&C to check for infection, so I think that's why. I guess it's one of those "let's do it all while we're there". I wanted them to check everything and leave no question unanswered!

I had mine 8 days ago (Monday last week). I had all week off work. The first couple of days I was ok mentally (feeling bright and bubbly, though tired) and I was rather sore. I just did lots of lying on the couch! Later in the week I developed 'goldfish brain' and felt rather spacey and couldn't concentrate on anything!

I had my sutures out on Friday. I ended up with the belly button cut, and two holes lower down on my abdomen.

I'm still feeling bloated and sore, my bowels are not back to normal (sorry TMI!) - I used to be regular 1-2 a day, at the moment it's every 2nd day. I figure it's just a side effect. Also I've had a few random cramping sensations. But I'm back at work - though the first day back, yesterday, I was totally exhausted by the end of it!

What I found the worst was the shoulder tip pain. Your Dr will tell you that some people get this - they use carbon dioxide in your abdomen so that they can see everything easily. But the gas doesn't just escape. It irritates your diaphragm which then gives referred pain in the shoulders. Pain killers do NOT help this. The only thing that helped me was acupuncture and heat. We bought one of those wheat-filled heat packs on the way from from the hospital and it was my saviour. I had it on all week! What I would tell you though, is try not to be too sedentary if you do get the shoulder pain. What I found was that when I moved around, it stirred up the gas, and I got more pain. So staying still = less pain. So I thought this was great and was coping. Then on the friday I drove myself to the clinic to get the sutures out (30 min drive) and walking back to the car, had the most intense shoulder pain I'd felt ALL WEEK! I actually had to stop walking, and was wondering how the **** I was going to drive myself home like this! It was full on. But it settled enough for me to drive home. In the days after that it subsided. So my theory was that because I hadn't been very active, this sudden flurry of activity released the last of the gas with a vengeance!!

OK so now I've really written a novel - but since I just went through this I guess I had lots of advice! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Oh - and my results were all clear

Just thought I would let you ladies know that I survived my lap. It went well and I am healing well. I still have a bit of shoulder pain and gas stuck in my tummy that moves about whenever I roll over in bed or get out of bed. Sounds like liquid moving around but Obs said it's just the gas. So I am hoping that it will be out of my system soon.

So thankyou all so much for your advice, support and information. It helped me get through it and it wasn't bad at all Now I just need to fall pregnant for it to be worth it LOL.

Glad to hear all is well Nadine Have you got any news on what they found, if anything?

Nic

Nadine sweety I just saw this thread now.... I'm glad it went well and you are feeling good about it all. I hope it really works for you so that this next cycle is it for you :goodluck2:

You might remember a few months back I had what my Acupuncturist/Kinesiologist found to be partially blocked tubes with a mucus fluid which she said would be making it virtually impossible for the sperm to travel down! She did her magic and a 6-8 weeks later I was pregnant...... something to keep in mind aswell if you wanted to go down that path..... but i'm sure this will work wonders for you aswell!!

glad to hear Nadine.

for a positivie outcome for you.

Thankyou so much ladies xxx

Nic- No I haven't. I was too groggy when my obs/gyno came to see me after the procedure so there was no point in discussing it with me really LOL. He did say that the dye went through my tubes nicely, so whether he did the dye before or after flushing I am not sure about. I was under the assumption it is done before the flushing. Anyway, I have an appointment with him on the 11th August, so I will be discussing it with him then. He did say we could start dtd once I get home but I was too sore for that LOL.

Ren- He flushed my tubes so that would have cleared them if anything was in them Thanks for the best wishes too *mwah*

Hey Nadine - glad to hear it all went well for you!